Kodi Hageman

by Keri Jenkins from Tulsa, Oklahoma in United States

My Kodi Bear

One of my very best friends is 11 years old. I celebrate her proudly as my everyday hero. It's great if you can be someone's hero for a day, isn't it? Yet to be somebody's hero EVERY day, how simply wonderful! That is my Kodi Bear. It's who she is, and it's who she'll be. No one can really understand what that means unless you've spent a day with her yourself. In a world where things are full of chaos and old traditions seem strangely lost in transition from generation to generation, Kodi is my young reminder that nothing is truly ever lost--it's just misplaced until it's found. And when I discovered Kodi, I discovered that all misplaced things can be recovered. I discovered that all broken things can be fixed. And I discovered that all sick things can be healed. She is my personal medicine, and she's God's medicine for all the world.

Kodi reminds me of sincerity, simplicity and serenity. She reminds me of love, life and laughter. She reminds me of integrity, inspiration and innovation. Kodi reminds me of trust, truth and triumph. She reminds me of fun, faith and friendship. She reminds me of chivalry, challenge and championship. That's why she's my hero, and my medicine for all the world. To be one of those things is awesome, but to be all of those things nearly every day...what more can my words say to help you understand? 

You don't have to be anything extra special to be special to someone in this world. You only need to be the best version of who God created you to be. I love that Kodi feels free to be who she is, and even who she isn't. A hero isn't born or made or created. A hero is developed, day by day, week by week, year by year, challenge by challenge, and change by change. I love to be inspired by my 11 year old hero. You're never too old to learn from someone, from anyone. I'm so grateful for the many things God has taught me through my Kodi Bear. I aspire in many ways to be as "young at heart" as she is, and to be deepened by the love that a child can bring into a world that often loses focus. It's too difficult for me to tell you all the special things Kodi has done with her life, because everything she does is special. I can't wait for many others to meet my Kodi Bear one day. And as much as I hate to share her, I know that she's someone God wants me to share with the world!