Leonard Cohen

by Una Telfer from Canada

122043Leonard Cohen WebCreated By Una TelferI chose Leonard Cohen because I think that he is very good at writing songs and I like to play them. My book is a biography and it is 150 pages long. This book covers the time when Leonard was a kid until now. It was published in 2001 and the author is Harry Rasky, he is one of Leonard’s friends and he made a movie called The Songs of Leonard Cohen, this is the name of the book too.

122048Leonard Cohen Portraitcreated By Una TelferLeonard was born and grew up in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, in a semi-rich Jewish family. His family was in the clothing business. Their family had a car driver and a nanny. Leonard Cohen’s dad (Nathan) died when he was 9, this may have had an impact later in his life. He had a sister named Esther and a mom named Marsha. Leonard Cohen went to Roslyn Elementary School and Herzliah High School and later transferred to Westmount High School. Leonard Cohen liked to be in school plays. He had a Hero named Federico García Lorca, who was a Spanish poet. Leonard Cohen knew he wanted to be a singer and a poet when he was young.

122050Leonard Cohen singingCreated By Una TelferLeonard was born and grew up in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, in a semi-rich jewish family. His family was in the clothing business. Their family had a car driver and a nanny. Leonard Cohen’s dad (Nathan) died when he was 9, this may have had an impact later in his life. He had a sister named Esther and a mom named Marsha. Leonard Cohen went to Roslyn Elementary School and Herzliah High School and later transferred to Westmount High School. Leonard Cohen liked to be in school plays. He had a Hero named Federico García Lorca, who was a Spanish poet. Leonard Cohen knew he wanted to be a singer and a poet when he was young.$5 million of Leonard Cohen’s money got stolen in 2004, by his manager Kelley Lynch. It was unclear if she paid all of the fine. He sued Kelley. The Los Angeles Superior Court gave him $9 million. Kelley then sent him mean texts and phone calls and harassed Leonard. Then she got sentenced to jail for 18 months. Later in Leonard Cohen’s life, he got cancer. Some of the awards that Leonard Cohen received are: the Companion of the Order of Canada, the Canadian Music Hall of Fame, the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame, the US Songwriters Hall of Fame, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Folk Music Walk of Fame, the Glenn Gould Prize, eight Juno Awards, a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award and many more.

I was surprised that Leonard Cohen’s money was stolen. If I were to meet Leonard Cohen and ask him three questions they would be: why do you always wear your hat? What was your inspiration for Hallelujah? What is your favourite song that you wrote? I would not like to be Leonard Cohen’s kid, because he is divorced. I did not enjoy my book because it was boring. I learned from my book that  Leonard Cohen was a good friend. I am very happy that I chose Leonard Cohen as my hero and I think that he is a person that others should look up to.

Leonard Cohen - the canadian encyclopedia
Leonard Cohen - wikipedia
Leonard Cohen - biography
Leonard Cohen - wikiquote
Leonard Cohen - grammy awards