Earthkeepers

Leonardo DiCaprio

by Nadine Bader from San Diego, California in United States

145901Leonardo DiCaprioBy: Georges Biard / CC BY-SA Everyone can be a hero, but some heroes are extra special. These extra special heroes are true heroes because they do small acts of kindness. They feel that it's the right thing to do and not for recognition or praise. A true hero is someone that not only cares about themselves but also others, not for beneficial gain but because they truly care. One of these true heroes in society today is Leonardo DiCaprio. He was born on November 11, 1974 in Los Angeles. He loved acting ever since he was little. He would always be imitating people, and making self-created skits for himself. That grew to be a part of him today. DiCaprio is also a philanthropist; he feels concern for society and the environment (Editors, TheFamousPeople.com). His kindness inspires citizens all over the world to make the world a better place. Leonardo DiCaprio grew up to be known as one of the best actors in the world, winning many awards throughout his career (Editors, TheFamousPeople.com). To be successful in the acting industry is considered prestigious because it’s immensely difficult. DiCaprio managed to make this happen through tremendous hard work. He gained respect from many people in his life by exhibiting immense determination in never giving up on his goals, despite disadvantages that may face him. His kindness towards others also helped him gain respect from his peers (IMDb.com). DiCaprio decided to take his determination and kindness to start a foundation he really cares about, which is to help with climate change and global warming. He used his huge platform to engage and encourage his vast following to help make this world a better place to live in. Also helping many others in need who were hurt in natural disasters. His determination and kindness inspired others to never give up and that if you can do something to help, then do it. Heroes must posses kindness and determination. When you are kind it has a positive impact on that person, even if its a simple act of kindness. It can be helping an old lady carry her heavy groceries; just doing that makes you a hero. Having determination is also good for a hero because that means you don't give up and are determined to help others in need. Another example is helping a friend study for a subject they're not strong in because you are determined for them to succeed. Leonardo DiCaprio wasn't only an actor, he was an inspiration, because he was determined to help better global warming and climate change. He did this by starting a foundation and putting every amount of money he had to help fix this situation, he also cared for others and our environment by donating over 1 million dollars for people who got injured in the Haiti Earthquake (Suzanne).

Leonardo DiCaprio wasn't only focused on acting. He was determined to help make the environment a better place to live in, and helping the population around the world. He did this through his philanthropy and by creating a climate change foundation. He also liked helping others in his free time, and the environment when working with his foundation. “I like to help the whales, the otters, and the dolphins. When I'm acting and I take a break, the first thing on my list is spending time by the sea” (IMDb). DiCaprio enjoys helping wildlife in his free time making every difference he can every day. He inspired people to help by bringing attention to wildlife, by trying to make everyone become aware of what’s going on. DiCaprio feels resolute for people to help by inspiring them to do something. He’s reducing air pollution and helping wildlife with his foundation, getting others to donate and help him along this journey into stopping this (Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation). His determination led him to going this far and calling out to others to notice this climate change and global warming problem. DiCaprio not only wanted to help with climate change and global warming, but he also wanted it to be a safe and healthy environment for everyone, including animals. ”Clean air, water, and a livable climate are inalienable human rights. And solving this crisis is not a question of politics, it is a question of our own survival” (Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation). DiCaprio wants everyone to live in a safe environment, not having to worry about the issues that may happen with climate change. That is why he is determined to help out and make others join him to make this world a better place for us and animals. Every day he’s taking the time and effort and putting all the hard work in because it's really important to him. The more climate change and global warming occurs, the more animals go extinct. That's why DiCaprio is determined to help as soon as possible, involving everyone's help too. Even if it’s difficult, he is motivated to make sure it happens. Still today, DiCaprio is persistently working hard to help reduce climate change and keep global warming from occurring.

DiCaprio is a tremendously caring person. He doesn't just help our environment, but also helped thousands of people who were wounded in the Haiti earthquake. Even though he spends a lot of money to help with climate change, he also was kind enough to donate $1 million to the people who were injured in a terrible incident that had occurred. “In 1998 he donated $1 million for the relief work after Haiti earthquake in 2010” (Editors, TheFamousPeople.com). By doing this DiCaprio showed that he’s caring because he didn't want to spend his money on something else and instead helped others in need. He could have used that money for something else, but he choose not to for the sake of others, because he cares about everyone. That made everyone profoundly grateful for him doing such a kind act. DiCaprio not only cares about his career but also cares about everyone around him and the environment we are living in. But helping those people showed how really caring he was of the world and the people. DiCaprio also helped people in Tanzania, donating money to them, providing them with fresh clean water to drink because they were struggling to access clean water. “The Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation’s grant to Concern Worldwide provided 430,000 people in Tanzania, Mozambique, Sierra Leone, and Darfur with access to clean water” (Davis). DiCaprio helped those people to be able to drink clean water. He cared about them because he doesn't want those people to get sick from the contaminated water. He worked really hard doing many things for everyone else, to be able to live in a healthy environment and to be healthy. He still continues in helping people worldwide every day. DiCaprio doesn't spend money on buying things he doesn't need, although he could. He doesn't because he believes that people's needs are more important than spending money on something not essential (Look to the Stars).

Leonardo DiCaprio is a hero because he cares about everyone and was kind enough to donate thousands of money to help people who suffered and to help with climate change and global warming. He also went out of his way to help many people and our environment, even if it seemed to difficult. He started many foundations to inspire others to help. DiCaprio helped many people worldwide who suffered from injuries, and other problems; he also helps with our environment, donating money to help with climate change and global warming. He helped donate to the people who were injured in the Haiti earthquake. He also helped with people who lived in Tanzania to be able to access clean water. DiCaprio is an inspiration because he wants to help many people and our environment. He was determined to make our environment a better place for animals and all wildlife. ”As someone who has gone from small roles in television commercials to one of the most respected actors in the world” (IMDb), DiCaprio has started out small, and from big accomplishments he has gone a long way to get this far with determination, which is inspiring. Even with all the fame, he is caring about everyone around him and is sincerely kind, and cares about others before himself. “However, he has not limited his professional career to just acting in movies, as DiCaprio is a committed environmentalist who is actively involved in many environmental causes” (IMDb). I believe he is a hero because of how much he has accomplished with the foundation. I look up to him because I’ve always wanted to be an actor myself, and he inspires me because he started out from small roles and now he’s supremely successful. He also is uniquely inspiring to me because he’s showing how much he cares about our world. DiCaprio is one of the most well-known and talented actors. He went from small roles to something big, but most of all he is inspiring because he isn't only focused on his career. He is determined to help our environment and cares about those in need of help. Leonardo DiCaprio is a hero because he will be remembered for more than just being an actor but also as a humanitarian who helped change the world.

“Who Is Leonardo DiCaprio? Everything You Need to Know.” Childhood, Life Achievements & Timeline, Editors,TheFamousPeople, 8 May 2018,

www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/leonardo-wilhelm-dicaprio-2135.php

“Biography.” IMDb, IMDb.com, www.imdb.com/name/nm0000138/bio

The Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation.” The Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation, www.leonardodicaprio.org/

Goldenberg, Suzanne. “How Leonardo DiCaprio Became One of the World's Top Climate Change Champions.” The Guardian, Guardian News and

Media, 29 Feb. 2016, www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/feb/29/how-leonardo-dicaprio-oscar-climate-change-campaigner

”Leonardo DiCaprio: Charity Work & Causes.” Look to the Stars, 2018, www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/leonardo-dicaprio

A Couple Things DiCaprio Did To Help Our Society - It describes a few things that DiCaprio did to help others around the world.
Leonardo Biography - Describes DiCaprio's personal life and accomplishments and important events that occurred in his life.
Leonardo DiCaprio's Foundation For Climate Change - DiCaprio started a foundation to help with climate change, you can also help by donating to help our environment.
Leonardo DiCaprio Charity Work, Events and Causes - Discusses a few thing that DiCaprio did to help others, and about his career and more.