2 lions saved from Mideast wars head to South Africa refuge

by SAM McNEIL , Associated Press

FEBRUARY 25, 2018 - SOUF, Jordan (AP) — Two African lions rescued from war zones in Iraq and Syria are heading to a permanent home in South Africa, after resting in Jordan where they recuperated from physical and psychological trauma.

121935In this Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018 photo, a lion named Saeed, who was rescued from Syria by the animal rights group Four Paws, is prepared for his departure from the Al-Ma'wa Animal Sanctuary near Souf, in northern Jordan. Two African lions rescued from war-torn Iraq and Syria are being transported to a permanent home in South Africa, after an interim stay in Jordan where they recuperated from physical and psychological trauma.AP Photo/Raad AdaylehThe lions were coaxed with mouthfuls of meat into metal crates Sunday before being loaded into a cargo truck taking them to Jordan's international airport.

The animal rights group Four Paws International rescued Saeed and Simba in daring warzone operations in 2017 from Magic World outside in Syria's Aleppo and the Mosul zoo in Iraq.

Most animals in those zoos had died during the ongoing conflicts in Syria and Iraq.

The two lions arrived emaciated, dehydrated and psychologically scarred at the Al-Ma'wa Animal Sanctuary in Jordan last year.

They received medical care including vasectomies and dental work. They gained weight on a steady diet — with lamb meat saved for special treats.

121937In this Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018 photo, a lion named Simba, who was rescued from Iraq by the animal rights group Four Paws, is prepared for his departure from the Al-Ma'wa Animal Sanctuary near Souf, in northern Jordan. Two African lions rescued from war-torn Iraq and Syria are being transported to a permanent home in South Africa, after an interim stay in Jordan where they recuperated from physical and psychological trauma.AP Photo/Raad AdaylehTwo-year-old Saeed now approaches people for head scratches and plays with his lead trainer Saif Rwashdeh.

"He'll run up into the crate even if there's no meat, then run out, then run back," he said.

Rwashdeh is traveling with the lions to Johannesburg, South Africa via Doha, Qatar. He'll be staying with them for two weeks to help the pair adjust to the South African sanctuary of Lions Rock, home to wild game and over 90 big cats.

"He's a happy-go-lucky kind of guy, he loves the interaction," said Diana Bernas, head animal keeper at al-Ma'wa, as she scratched Saeed, his eyes closed and smug, leaned into her fingers. "He's a perfect lion."

121936In this Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018 photo, a lion named Simba, who was rescued from Iraq by the animal rights group Four Paws, is prepared for his departure from the Al-Ma'wa Animal Sanctuary near Souf, in northern Jordan. Two African lions rescued from war-torn Iraq and Syria are being transported to a permanent home in South Africa, after an interim stay in Jordan where they recuperated from physical and psychological trauma.AP Photo/Raad AdaylehThe young lions are at an age ripe for socialization and need interaction with larger groups of lions, Bernas said.

"It is bittersweet but we knew he was only going to be here temporarily so we are happy he's going to the African sun."