Malala Yousafzai

by Mia from Rhode Island

Once upon a time, there was a peaceful valley in Mingora, Pakistan. Then, the Taliban took over this quiet valley in Swat Valley, One 11-year-old girl spoke out publicly on behalf of girls and their right to learn. Who was that? Malala Yousafzai. Not only did she stand up for her education for her and for girls, but when she was shot by the Taliban, she didn't back down.  

Malala Yousafzai was born on July 12, 1997. Her father, Ziauddin was a teacher and ran a girls’ school in our village. They banned many things-like from owning a television and playing music. Also, the Taliban enforced harsh punishments for those who defied their orders. They also said girls could no longer go to school. In October 2012, on her way home from school, a masked gunman boarded my school bus and asked, “Who is Malala?” He shot her on the left side of her head. She woke up 10 days later in a hospital in Birmingham, England. Malala stayed in the hospital for many months where she fully recovered. She won the Nobel Peace Prize on October 10, 2014, for outstanding contributions to peace. She fights to ensure all girls receive a safe education.

130876 Malala (Photo by Simon Davis/DFID)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malala_Yousafzai#/media/File:Malala_Yousafzai_2015.jpg

“When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful.” This is one of Malala’s famous quotes. I chose this quote because even when there are war and hate, there can still be someone that has the courage to stand up for what is right.

Malala Yousafzai stood up for her beliefs that hopefully will come true, that every child will have the right to get educated. She is currently being educated at the University of Oxford in England. This is why I  chose her for my hero.