Martin Luther King Jr.

by Christopher from Saddle River, New Jersey in United States

Martin Luther King Jr. was born on January 15, 1929. He came from a middle-class black family who were mainly preachers. When he was six years old, one of his white friends stopped playing with him because his friend’s parents no longer approved of their black and white friendship. At age 12, Martin attempted suicide because he witnessed a tragic incident. Fortunately his attempt was an unsuccessful one. Martin always despised the discriminatory prejudices of black people. This is probably the reason he was such an important person to end the Jim Crow Laws which also led him to have perseverance, be inspirational, and non-violent. Martin Luther King Jr. is my hero because he ended segregation even though he witnessed many tragic events that would hinder his final goal of ending the inequalities of blacks and whites for good.

Perseverance was something Martin Luther King Jr. had a lot of. First of all, his dearest grandmother died when devastated Martin was only 11 years old. On top of that, he was jailed at the Birmingham Prison but that didn’t stop him on the road to end the prejudices of the south; on the contrary, it encouraged him to stop the Jim Crow Laws for good. Lastly, he organized a march against segregation at Selma, Alabama  but it was ended shortly because he and all of his protesters were tear gassed but that didn’t stop him from organizing another march at the same place for the same cause. In all, Martin Luther King Jr. showed a lot of perseverance because of all his persevering acts.

Non-violence was what made Martin Luther King Jr. different than most people, never hurting anyone physically during his successful campaign. One of the most incredible non-violent achievements for Martin was how he was tear-gassed and didn’t retaliate in the slightest bit. Another great achievement that Martin achieved was how he received the Nobel peace prize for ending the Jim Crow Laws which brings me up to my next point. He ended the segregation laws without ever once harming a single individual. To sum it all up, Martin was a strong believer in peaceful actions.

If Martin was not inspirational, none of his acts would have been successful including ending the Jim Crow Laws. First and probably most importantly is how he inspired black women such as Rosa Parks to stand up to giving up her seat in Montgomery, Alabama, which eventually resulted in her going to jail, but that didn’t stop the believers. Furthermore, Martin didn’t have enough revenge with the transit system so he inspired many black Alabama residents to boycott the transit system of the area. This eventually caused the transit system to lose too much money so they got rid of the segregated transit law. Finally Mr. King organized a march all the way to Washington and with his inspiration he got 200,000 people to participate in his march where he said his famous quote “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” In conclusion, Martin’s most important attribute was being inspirational.

To wrap it all up Martin Luther King Jr. is my hero because of him being inspirational, non-violent, and having perseverance through the rough times we now call The Jim Crow Era. What mainly makes him a hero was him being inspirational because his most important events all required his expertise in the inspiring the many. In addition to him being inspirational, he had the perseverance necessary to never once let the challenges that he faced to take over. Another attribute you couldn’t forget about Martin Luther King Jr. is his non-violence because if he attacked anyone then his life accomplishment of starting a new era that did not include the prejudices of The Jim Crow Era wouldn’t have been possible. This is because then the government officials would see that the blacks are too violent to be treated as a first-class citizen. In essence, the achievements of Martin Luther King Jr. included but was not limited to the attributes that make Mr. King my hero resulting him in ending segregation once and for all.