Medgar Wiley

by Levi Lathrop - High School - from Liberty, Missouri in United States

Medgar Wiley Evers was born on July 2, 1925, in Decatur, Mississippi. He was very determined to get his education and endured many hardships throughout his school life. He was bullied when he was in school. Kids threw things at him and harassed him. He had to face a lot of his friends and family getting lynched and beaten to death. He finished his earlier school years rather quickly, but he was always bothered by how no one ever stood up for anything; how there were no honors in the church for the dead man and no protests. He also said, “I used to watch the Saturday night sport of white men trying to run down a Negro with their car, or white gangs coming through town to beat up a Negro.” He wrote many books trying to stop racism and sadly, on June 12, 1963, Medgar Evers was murdered. His suspected killer was Byron De La Beckwith.