Michael Jordan

by Lucas Peregrino from Newark, California in United States

My Hero Project

My name is Lucas Peregrino and my hero is Michael Jordan, who is the greatest basketball player in NBA history in my opinion and also in others. I love playing basketball, and the fact that I have the same birthday as him is crazy! He has been an inspiration to me my whole life, and he’s one of the reasons why I started to play basketball in the first place. Basketball has changed my life, has made me new friends and it started because I started watching old videos of him playing back in the day. He has completed so many milestones and achievements in his career as a player, and he just was cool to look up to.

He had great things in the NBA, but he also did good in high school. He went to Emsley A. Laney High School, which is located in Wilmington, North Carolina. In Jordan’s sophomore year, he didn’t make the varsity team due to his height of 5’11 which was considered “too short” to play at that level. He played on the junior varsity team, and became the star of the team. He had seven 40 point games that season, and moved up to varsity next year as a junior. He averaged 20 points on the varsity team, and was selected to the McDonald’s All American Team as a senior after averaging a triple double, which is crazy!

Jordan’s college career was really good, he was on the road to greatness after his high school career. He averaged 13.4 points when he was a freshman. In the 1982 NCAA Championship, he hit the game-winning shot. That must’ve been so cool to do that, and his clutch factor that he had was something that I’ve always wanted. Jordan said that was a “major turning point in his basketball career.”

Michael has records that are truly remarkable, and that’s why he was so recognized by the whole world for his talent. He has ten scoring titles, five MVP awards, six Finals MVP awards, three All-Star game MVP awards, three steals titles, and the NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award in 1988. He was so good at dunk contests (and dunking is general), that he was nicknamed, “Air Jordan” for his remarkable feats. One of his most popular and well-known feats was his dunk from the free-throw line. Some have done it before him, but he did it in a way which was special. He has a lot of accomplishments and that’s one reason I look up to him.

Michael Jordan, an iconic name that everyone knows, is someone that I’ve looked up to my whole life. Wanting to become like him, growing up watching film has inspired me. He has given me a goal and is motivation to me so I could be just as good as he is at basketball. That is why he is my hero.