MY HERO Celebrates Human Rights Defenders

Learn about Human Rights Defenders

What's a human rights defender?

Human rights defenders speak out against abuse and violations including discrimination, exclusion, oppression and violence. They advocate justice and seek to protect the victims of human rights violations. They demand accountability of perpetrators and transparency in government action. In so doing, they are often putting at risk their own safety, and that of their families.

Each of us can be a human rights defender.

“Human rights defender is a title each and every one of us can earn. It is not a role that requires a professional qualification. What it depends on is regard for our fellow human beings, an understanding that we are all entitled to the full range of human rights and a commitment to seeing that ideal become a reality.”

- Navi Pillay, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights

Famous or not!

Some human rights defenders are famous, but most are not. They are active in every part of the world, working alone and in groups, in local communities, in national politics and internationally. They are of all ages and have diverse backgrounds and occupations. Many are highly qualified people who have special skills as lawyers, journalists, doctors, architects, teachers: many others have little or no education but they all have in common the fundamental conviction that human rights must be protected and promoted.

Everyone can advance and speak up for human rights no matter who they are or where they are from. Each one of us has the potential to make a difference.

Maura Welch

Maura Welch was recognized by NetAid for her work to spread awareness about child labor.

Rigoberta Menchu Tum

By: Lydia Ratna
Rigoberta Menchú Tum, winner of the 1992 Nobel Peace Prize, became involved with various groups in their struggle for the indigenous people out of personal conviction and sense of justice.

Thurgood Marshall

By: Vijay

Thurgood Marshall was the first African American to become a member of the U.S. Supreme Court.

Sompop Jantraka

By: Nicole from Spokane
Sompop Jantraka helps poor children in Thailand to avoid child prostitution and obtain an education.

John Lewis

By: Kathy Crockett <br>My Hero
John Lewis has worked for civil rights for all for over 40 years.

Hazviperi Betty Makoni

By: Wendy Jewell
Hazviperi Betty Makoni founded the Girl Child Network to transform lives.

Archbishop Oscar Romero

By: Natalie from San Francisco
Archbishop Oscar Romero was a passionate voice of hope, peace and justice in war-torn El Salvador.

Don Cheadle and Darfur Now

By: Claudia Hudson
Don Cheadle and Darfur Now deliver a call to action to stop the genocide in the Sudan.

Kofi Annan

By: Jerrilyn Jacobs
Kofi Annan is an honored freedom and peacemaker hero.

Jimmy Carter

By: Sherry Lansing
Jimmy Carter For as long as she can remember, Sherry Lansing has considered President Carter her hero.

Dr. Oscar Elias Biscet

By: SERGIO from MASON
Dr. Oscar Elias Biscet is known as the 'Mandela of Cuba' because he bravely defends the rights of Cuban citizens.

Eleanor Roosevelt

By: Beth from Fredericksburg
Eleanor Roosevelt was a champion for freedom and devoted her life to gaining rights for others

Bella Abzug

By: Kruti from New Jersey
Bella Abzug was a New York Congresswoman who fought for women's rights.

Jose Manuel Ramos-Horta

By: Richard Kent
Jose Manuel Ramos-Horta is Kerry Kennedy's hero because of his human rights work in East Timor.

Artwork

Dith Pran

By: Brian from Cupertino
Dith Pran let the world know of the genocide in Cambodia through his work as a reporter.

Wei JingSheng

By: Tom Block

Meena Keshwar Kamal

By: Tom Block

Defying Death in South Sudan

Producer: Francis Mead
Defying death in South Sudan. Featuring Humanitarian Hero Award Winner Ken Payumo.

Illustrated Version of the UN Declaration of Human Rights

Illustrations by Yacine Ait Kaci (YAK)

This illustrated edition of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) is published by the United Nations in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, and Spanish.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights illustrated book
Credit: Yacine Ait Kaci (YAK) [UN.org]

Links

Organizer created on 11/28/2018 12:05:29 PM by Xenia Shin

Last edited 11/18/2019 12:05:37 PM by Laura Nietzer