Nelson Mandela

by Grace from Edmonton, Canada

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but rising every time we fall.

~Nelson Mandela

Nelson Mandela, My  Hero

“The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but rising everytime we fall.” ~Nelson Mandela

Have you ever heard of a great man named Nelson Mandela? If so, do you know what he did that made him so great? Do you know what challenges he faced? How about where he lived and when he passed? Well, if you don’t know any of the questions above or have any other questions about Mr. Mandela, then this passage is for you.

What made Nelson Mandela so amazing? A solid question, Nelson Mandela is mostly known for going against racism towards black people in South Africa. He did not believe that one person should benefit any more than another person, just because of their skin colour. Why he really is so amazing is because no matter what happened he never stopped trying to make things right.

Nelson Mandela faced many obstacles in his lifespan including jail. It all started when only white people were allowed to run for the government. Nelson did not believe it was right for them to be privileged over everyone else because of their skin colour. He was a leader of a group called the African National Congress (ANC). A little bit later he joined another group called the South African Communist Party. Even though he did not take part in any violent riots, he was arrested for conspiracy against the State. He was given a life sentence but was only imprisoned for 27 years. In 1994 he became president of South Africa.

Sadly on December 5, 2013, he tragically died of an infection. He lived in Johannesburg and had six children. Nelson Mandela was born on July 18, 1918. He lived 95 miraculous years and made every single day count.

Nelson Mandela is my hero because of how he never stopped trying to make things right, no matter what happened. I think we can all agree Mandela was inspiring to many people and still is.

Grace

Nelson Mandela / Wikipedia - Nelson Mandela / Wikipedia