Oprah Winfrey

by Grace from San Diego, California in United States

"Turn your wounds into wisdom."  -Oprah Winfrey

Oprah Winfrey worked hard her whole life just to get to where she is today. She had a hard upbringing, but with hard work and perseverance she became a big success. Oprah was a young girl with big dreams. Oprah was the first black woman to have her own talk show. She is one of the most respected women in the United States. Oprah is very charitable. She has published five books and been featured in Time Magazine. She is also the Chairwoman and CEO of Harpo Productions. Oprah was born in Kosciusko, Mississippi on January 29, 1954. The first Oprah show was taped there on January 15, 1990. Oprah's show was very successful and was a place where she spoke her mind. Oprah possesses compassion and bravery, therefore she is a hero.134314Oprah at her showhttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Oprah_in_2014.jpg

Oprah Winfrey had a very hard childhood. Not only was she abused mentally but also physically. “Oprah was raped at the age of nine by her 19 year old cousin” (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/97). Oprah had a hard childhood and upbringing. She was very poor. She was physically and mentally abused. Oprah not only overcome abuse, but also poverty. "Overcome poverty and childhood abuse” (Presnall). It's hard to handle abuse, however not only did Oprah go through that, but she helps other people overcome it. Oprah overcame many obstacles and challenges in her young life. Oprah is filled with compassion. She fights for what she believes in and is a very strong leader. “Leadership is a relationship between individuals who share the same or similar aspirations and goals. 

Oprah is a strong leader. She is also very independent. She strives to be the best version of herself and always helped others. Oprah is a very selfless person and does her part to give back. ”Oprah Winfrey has portrayed her heroic and humane personality is by forming organizations and charities for women and kids to help support them” (https://myhero.com/O_Winfrey_dnhs_sh_US_2017_ul). Oprah is a very outspoken influencer. She speaks her mind on topics, even if it's the hard truth. This is one of the reasons she is so successful. “At the age of 19, a radio show and her talent to ad-lib kicked off a career and a journey that is inspirational." Oprah became such a success at such a young age. She accomplished things that know one thought she could. Oprah continues to prove that know matter what situation you’re in, you can achieve anything you dream of; that is why she is a hero.

134315Oprah at the White House for the 2010 Kennedy Center HonorsU.S. federal government [Public domain]Oprah Winfrey is very influential to many people. She speaks her mind and tells the honest truth, even if it may be hard to hear."In 1997, Oprah started the angel network movement which involves a variety of projects to help the less fortunate people” (Presnall, Judith Janda.). Oprah had a hard childhood and upbringing. She was very poor. She was physically and mentally abused. Despite all her hardships growing up, Oprah became a strong leader. She is also very independent, striving to be the best version of herself and always helping others. Oprah is a very outspoken influencer. She speaks her mind on topics, even if it's the hard truth. This is one of the reasons she is so successful. “Leadership is a relationship between individuals who share the same or similar aspirations and goals. From a leader's point of view, leadership is about commitment to a constituency of others and those others" (Oprah Winfrey: Compassion and Care). Oprah Winfrey is living proof that you can achieve anything you put your mind to. Oprah went from a small, hometown girl who was abused, raped, and struggling with poverty, to being one of the most respected women in America.

By standing up during hard times and caring for others, Oprah proves she is a hero. As someone who goes through trials in life, I look to Oprah Winfrey and her bravery and realize that anything to be achieved. It doesn't matter how hard life is, you can always achieve anything.

Works Consulted

“Oprah Winfrey: Compassion and Care.” Wiley Online Library, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 25 Mar.

2013, onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/9781118551653.ch9.

"Oprah Winfrey." Contemporary Black Biography, vol. 61, Gale, 2007. Biography In Context,

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1606003719/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=1f

2d1734. Accessed 1 May 2019.

“Oprah Winfrey.” The MY HERO Project, myhero.com/O_Winfrey_dnhs_sh_US_2017_ul.

Presnall, Judith Janda. Oprah Winfrey. Lucent Books, 1999.

OWN - Oprah's website.
Charities of Oprah - About Oprah's charity