World Science Day for Peace and Development | November 10

Learn about the importance of science for peace and development for the benefit of society with MY HERO's multimedia showcase featuring science heroes.

Inside a lab for stem cells in Seoul, Korea.
Credit: UN Photo: Kibae Parkn

Teachers: Visit the free MY HERO Lesson Plan for World Science Day for Peace and Development. Includes discussion guide and learning outcomes.

World Science Day for Peace and Development celebrates the importance of science in our daily lives. Scientists play an important role in broadening our understanding of the remarkable, fragile planet we call home and in making our societies more peaceful and sustainable.

Film

Watch the following films about heroes using science for the benefit of society.

A Woman's Place is in the Lab

Produced by:Christine Dennis

A historical look at the long road for women in science. Following the outstanding career of Dr. Gail Brown, PhD., renowned Scientist.

SLINGSHOT

Producer: Paul Lazarus

Best known for his Segway Personal Transporter, inventor Dean Kamen is taking on great challenges one invention at a time. SlingShot is the story of Kamen, his water purification technology, and his innovative approach to the safe water crisis.

The Super Supercapacitor

Produced by:David Paul Meyer, Laura Lee / Directed by: Brian Golden Davis
Ric Kaner set out to find a new way to make graphene, the thinnest and strongest material on earth. What he found was a new way to power the world.

The $1 Microscope

Produced by:by: Michael Schwarz
A device made from paper promises to make microscopes as widely available as pencils.

Stories

Stories about science heroes working for peace.

Each is available in audio, so students can listen as they read along. Great for ESL students.

The first three stories have also been translated into another language.

William Kamkwamba

By: Wendy Jewell & David Kemker

William Kamkwamba designed and built a windmill, at the age of 14, for his family in Malawi, Africa. 

William Kamkwamba (French)

By: Wendy Jewell & David Kemker

Imagine que tu puisses concevoir et fabriquer ton propre moulin à vent. Imagine tu as 14 ans et tu vis au Malawi en Afrique du Sud-est et le village où tu vis n’a pas d’électricité.

Merieme Chadid

By: Rebecca Miller
Merieme Chadid is an astronomer from Morocco who did research at the South Pole.

Merieme Chadid (French)

By: Rebecca Miller

Enfant, Merieme Chadid rêvait d’astronomie. Elle fut la première femme à atteindre le pôle Sud et est maintenant professeur d'astronomie à l'Université de Nice-Sophia Antipolis. Du Maroc au Pole Sud aux étoiles.

Dr. France Cordova

By: Barbara Field
Dr. France Cordova is a renowned astrophysicist who has broken gender and cultural barriers.

Dra. France Córdova (español)

By: Bárbara Field
“Sólo aquellos que se arriesgan a llegar lejos, pueden tener una idea de lo lejos que se puede llegar." - T.S. Eliot

Neil deGrasse Tyson

By: Daren from Hawesville
Neil deGrasse Tyson is an astrophysicist, cosmologist and science communicator.

Science heroes helping to create a more just environment portrayed in posters for The Amplifier Foundation

Artworks celebrate climate science heroes who work for environmental justice

Science is Universal

By: Celeste Byers for Amplifier

As part of the Amplifier Foundation's support of the March on Science, Byers designed this poster to remind us of the credibility of scientists and their importance.

James Balog - Climate Hero

By: Mark5 for Amplifier

James Balog is an American photographer whose work explores the relationship between humans and nature in an effort to create greater awareness about the climate crisis

Defenders of Truth - Deepika Kurup

By: Kate Deciccio

Young inventor, scientist and student Deepika Kurup was awarded $25,000 for her work in developing a new and inexpensive method to clean water using solar power.

Defenders of Truth - Joni Wallis

By: Kate Deciccio

For the March For Science, Amplifier commissioned artist and educator Kate DeCiccio to create artwork about Dr. Joni Wallis, a cognitive neurophysiologist and professor at the University of California Berkeley. In 2016, she came out as a trans woman.

External Links

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Visit the MY HERO Calendar

Share Your Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Outstanding essays submitted to MY HERO will be considered for a certificate/t-shirt prize or be featured on the Story Homepage.

Submit your artwork to be entered in the MY HERO art contest or to be exhibited on our Gallery Homepage.

Students can submit their films for free with a waiver to the MY HERO International Film Festival.

Our Curators

Hero Stories curated by MY HERO General Editor and Writer Shannon Luders-Manuel. Shannon is a critical mixed race scholar and writer based in Hollywood, CA. 

Short films curated by MY HERO International Film Festival director Wendy Milette

Artwork curated by MY HERO Arts Education and Gallery director Victoria Murphy. 

Organizer created on 11/8/2013 8:24:21 AM by Becky Miller

Last edited 11/8/2019 4:50:13 PM by Xenia Shin