police dog

by kasey from center valley

Hi my name is Kasey. I think a hero should be strong. My hero is a police dog. I admire him because he saves lives and catches bad guys.

He works day and night helping to protect the streets. The police dogs are mostly German shepherds. The police are giving bullet proof vests to the dogs, so if someone starts shooting at them they won't get hurt. Police dogs are formally known as k-9s. When you see a police car and you see k-9 on it, that means that that car has a k-9 in it.

Most police dogs live in homes whith fellow officers. Some dogs live in cages and others don't live in a cage. Some dogs can be family others are just dogs that are given to the officers they work with. Some just might stay at the police station.

Police dogs are respected with honor. When police dogs die they are never forgotten of the work and dedication they have done for us. Police dogs have the same kind of funeral like a person. When they die they make a plaque of the dog and hang it up in the police station.

There are specific duties. One of the duties are to smell for people and drugs and weapons. Other dogs can be trained to attack if a bad guy starts running from them or aiming a gun at an officer. That's why a police dog is a hero to me.