Poets

Phillis Wheatley

by Krystene' from St. Paul

Phillis Wheatly was born in 1753 In South Africa. When she was just seven years old she was kidnapped and brought on to a slave ship then later sold to John Wheatly. She Was bought for Suzannha Weatly.

Phillis was tought to read and write by Mary Weatly. When she was 13 years old she wrote her first poem and 17 when her book was published.

Phillis was oinvited to meet the countess of England. Phillis receved a note saying that Mrs. Weatly (Suzannha ) was ill and she needed Phillis to come home.

Phillis Weatly Got married to a man named John and they had a son named John. That child died shortly after birth. She had a second child and that child died shortly after birth too. Phillis had another child and got a job working in a womans home and she even let Phillis and her child stay up stairs.

On Decenber 5 of 1784 Phillis and her child lay to sleep and never woke up. You should remember Phillis Weatly because she was the frst African American to write poetry and the first slave to get thier book published.

Yahoolagins - have fun