International Day of Peace 2014

Contact: Jeanne Meyers                                                  IMMEDIATE RELEASE

[email protected]

949.376.5964

FORMER CHILD SOLDIER TO HOST CELEBRATION OF PEACE

9/09/14 – SANTA MONICA, CA – Mohamed Sidibay was 3-years-old when rebel soldiers forced their way into his home, murdered his family and placed a gun in his young hands.   For the next seven years, he would fight as a soldier of the Revolutionary United Front.  Next month, Sidibay will share his hard-earned lessons with the world, to shed light on the plight of child soldiers and to join The MY HERO Project in celebrating The International Day of Peace. 

The International Day of Peace is observed around the world as a day devoted to uniting people in the pursuit of peace.  The MY HERO Peace Day celebration takes place September 20, 2014, 7:30 pm, at the Herb Alpert Educational Village (3131 Olympic Blvd, Santa Monica, Ca. 90404).  MY HERO will honor Mohamed for making his brave journey from child soldier to peace activist.   

MY HERO will also honor artist Robert Shetterly, who is known for his portraits and stories of Americans Who Tell the Truth.  These works tell stories of citizens who courageously deal with issues of fairness in social, environmental and economic arenas.

Author and educator, Erin Gruwell is on the list of honorees.  Gruwell founded The Freedom Writers Foundation, which promotes peace, tolerance and compassion in the classroom. 

One of the highlights of the evening is sure to be performance artist, Kenji Williams, who will screen an excerpt from his multimedia work, Bella Gaia.  In the breathtaking film, Williams offers up his poetic vision of earth from space.

Another soldier-turned-turned-peace-activist, Ron Kovic, will present the 2014 Kovic Peace Prize.  Kovic, who was shot and paralyzed from the chest down in Vietnam, wrote the autobiography Born on the 4th of July, which later became a film directed by Oliver Stone.  For more than 40 years, Kovic has advocated for peace, with his words and through his paintings.  Each year, Kovic donates a $1,000 prize to the short film that best addresses the subject of peace.

For more information about The Peace Day celebration, and to RSVP online, please visit The MY HERO web site: Peace Day RSVP