giordano bruno

by ale dia dani chia from

Giordano Bruno was an Italian philosopher best-known as a proponent of heliocentrism and the infinity of the universe. In addition to his cosmological writings, he also wrote extensive works on the art of memory, a loosely-organized group of mnemonic techniques and principles. He is often considered an early martyr for modern scientific ideas, in part because he was burned at the stake as a heretic by the Roman Inquisition. However, others argue that his actual heresy was his pantheist beliefs about God not an idea we would today characterize as scientific. In Rome he was imprisoned for seven years during his lengthy trial, lastly in the Tower of Nona. Some important documents about the trial are lost, but others have been preserved, among them a summary of the proceedings that was rediscovered in 1940.

The numerous charges against Bruno, based on some of his books as well as on witness accounts, included blasphemy, immoral conduct, and heresy in matters of dogmatic theology, and involved some of the basic doctrines of his philosophy and cosmology. Luigi Firpo lists them as follows:

Holding opinions contrary to the Catholic Faith and speaking against it and its ministers; Holding erroneous opinions about the Trinity, about Christ's divinity and Incarnation; Holding erroneous opinions about Christ; Holding erroneous opinions about Transubstantiation and Mass. Claiming the existence of a plurality of worlds and their eternity; Believing in metempsychosis and in the transmigration of the human soul into brutes. Dealing in magics and divination; Denying the Virginity of Mary; Giordano was the last italian philosopher that propose ideas so innovative and also linked to the esotheric arts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giordano_Bruno