Peter Tatchell

by Aidan Nagola from San Diego, California in United States

Aidan Nagola

HHE2, Mrs. Christopher

4/26/19

LGBT  “+” A Hero -  Peter Tatchell’s Journey

“origin stories show us not how to become super but how to become heroes, choosing altruism over the pursuit of wealth and power… At their best Superhero origin stories inspire us and provide models of coping with adversity, finding meaning in loss and trauma, discovering our strengths and using them for good purpose.” (Robin Rosenberg 13) In today’s society, heroes are classified as famous role-models with accentuated strengths such as beauty, intellect, or musical talent (etc). When in actuality, the common Parent that provides the maximum towards their child (children) fits the definition of a hero. Someone not defined by their fame, but their courage and determination despite all loss and suffrage.

Peter Tatchell pushed past adversity, working using strength alongside courage and determination to achieve his goal: solving harassment of LGBT. Australian‐born U.K. peace activist and gay rights campaigner, Peter Tatchell was viewed as an outsider from birth. Following his move to London in 1971, he joined the Gay Liberation Front and the Troops Out Movement, opposing the presence of British troops in Northern Ireland. In 1983 he stood unsuccessfully as Labour candidate in the Bermondsey by‐election and was subjected to virulent media attacks for his socialism and sexuality. Since the 1990s he has been active in the radical direct‐action group Outrage, campaigning for equal rights for lesbians and gay men and exposing prejudice in the military and the church. Proper traits of a hero sway far from Super speed and invisibility. Although spectacular, they don’t create a hero. Superpowers allow one to be  “super,” while one's choices for the greater good create a hero. Anyone can be a hero with determination and courage outshining any superpower. Courage is the will to act no matter the consequence. Focusing on savior rather than personal safety. Determination is the will to persist past all struggle to achieve a goal. Stopping at nothing to achieve everything is the basis of all heroes (“super” included.) Peter Tatchell demonstrates both courage and determination through his advocacy; eradicating unjust laws that target LGBT, despite the constant harassment from others, earning him the title of a modern American hero.

Through his courageous advocacy, Peter Tatchell represents the modern American hero through his selfless method of “self-harm,” to achieve his goal; equality and justice for all. Peter Tatchell exemplifies courage through his daunting tasks, darting towards danger, no matter the consequence, to help those in need rather than tending for the needs of himself: “In 2001, when protesting against Robert Mugabe in Brussels, Mugabe's bodyguards beat him so badly that he sustained brain damage and has defective vision in his right eye…” (Telegraph 11 ) Peter Tatchell demonstrates modern day values through his courageous acts, advocating for equality although acknowledged with the wearisome outcomes. Peter Tatchell was beaten by guards for his peaceful protest against LGBT mistreatment.  Although harmed, Peter doesn’t allow fear of this harassment to stop him. Quite the contrary, constant harassments further encourage his cause, pushing him to continue further towards danger, in support of his cause, proving his courage. Peter Tatchell also represents courage through his protest despite perilous setting:  Video of Tatchell protest on Thursday showed him holding a sign which read:  "Putin fails to act against Chechnya torture of gay people." He was then approached by several police officers and taken to a police station, before later being released. After his release, Tatchell tweeted that he was due to appear in court on June 26 accused of violating laws which bar "all protests near the Kremlin & during World Cup." He added that he was pleased to stand in solidarity with members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community in Russia and Chechnya, a Russian republic. Tatchell said he had been to Russia on five previous occasions to protest gay rights and had been arrested twice. (Telegraph 08 ) Putin’s Segregation laws against ALL LGBT advocates inhibit Peter Tatchell actions as a hero. Throughout the world cup, in Russia, Tatchell peacefully protests against unjust laws against minorities, mainly LGBT. Although arrested twice from the five times he has visited, Tatchell continues advocating for justice despite the consequences. His persistence in perilous actions  for change, such as illegal protesting against inequality, shows his courage. This courage is necessary as a changemaker to convey those in power to transition from injustice towards equality for all. Peter Tatchell acquired injuries, however don’t render him weakless. They empower him and others alike to persist until their voices are heard. “Over the course of his career he has, in addition to the Moscow attack, been beaten up by Robert Mugabe's bodyguards, threatened by Muslim militants, interrogated by the Stasi, and ridiculed, often in unacceptably hostile and personal terms, by both the press and his political opponents.” (O'Keeffe, Alice. 14 ) Throughout his life, Peter Tatchell had been thrown aside, harassed for his differences. His advocating for LGBT not only widened this “difference gap,” but shined a new political hate towards him. As this hate increased, his morality increased alongside it. Others died away in attempt, yet Peter Tatchell didn’t allow others to crowd him out. His courage pushed him towards uncomfortable situations that many fear, however Peter Tatchell thrived. Persisting onward no matter the circumstances to achieve his goal. Although tedious, Peter Tatchell persists no matter the circumstance. Whether it be harassment, threat, or sheer rudeness, Peter Tatchell doesn't allow struggle to interfere with his goal.

Peter Tatchell exemplifies determination through his persistence past struggle in an attempt to stop brutality and spread equality : "Labour's commitment to equality is paper-thin." Tatchell will not stop campaigning, it seems, until he has achieved a complete overhaul of, well, everything. "I don't want equality with straight people in a system which is fundamentally unjust. I want a better system for everyone." (Peter Tatchell - Blog - 09 ) Tatchell is beaten to achieve his goals of equality, however Peter Tatchell stops at nothing to fully eradicate injustice for all. Tatchell states in an interview, that no matter the success his actions may bring, he will never stop until his full demands are met. His determined attitude allowed him to look past the small victories towards those larger in the future; equality for LGBT and minorities.  Peter Tatchells courage allows him to withstand as the world's unjust ideology shoves him downward. Peter Tatchell shows determination through his consistent advocacy, pushing towards equality no matter the circumstance: Peter Tatchell is not very well. He is still suffering from head injuries sustained when he was attacked by neo-Nazis during a Gay Pride march in Moscow in May. His right eye is damaged, the lining of his brain is swollen, and he feels like he is "drowning, mentally drowning". He fumbles for words, and stops in the middle of sentences to clutch his head. And yet he has spent the morning campaigning on an asylum case, and the afternoon being interviewed by me. (O'Keeffe, Alice. 09) Peter Tatchell is attacked, harassed, and threatened daily. Tatchell is “mentally drowning,” his brain is swollen and yet he spent the morning campaigning. He was beaten, yet persisted the next day in a campaign supporting equality. Without determination, many would have given up, retreating to the safety of their home. Tatchell, however continued his fight no matter the struggle and harassment, showing his determination as a peacefully advocate for equality . Peter Tatchell acquired injuries, however don’t render him weakless. They empower him and others alike to persist until their voices are heard: “The beating left him with "problems with coordination, balance, concentration and memory. It's not treatable. It slows me down and makes life a bit more difficult, but clearly it doesn't stop me." (Peter Tatchell - Blog - 10 ) Determined for success, Peter Tatchell stops at nothing to achieve all he sets his mind to. His constant beatings have become untreatable, causing problems with coordination, balance, concentration, and memory, yet Peter Tatchell persists. Whether it be harassment, or threat of death, Peter Tatchell pushes onward, determined to achieve his goal, for this generation or the next.  For his constant advocacy despite circumstance, Peter Tatchell demonstrates the essential value of determination as a modern American hero.

A hero demonstrates both courage and determination despite all loss and struggle. Representing the best ideals of society without a cape. Everyone struggles throughout their lives, heroes push past their struggles and accomplish their goals. Peter Tatchell, beaten and harassed daily, didn’t allow his struggle to render him weakless. Through his courage and persistence, Peter Tatchell found great victories despite his defeats, “Peter Tatchell has accomplished great things in such dreadful circumstances. The Eradication of the LGBT death penalty in Iran, the segregation laws against LGBT in Britain, and overall mitigated inequality across the globe.” (Published by CNN Wire  Para: 14) Peter Tatchell not only fights for minorities, but fights alongside them in an endless “cold war” between gov. power and basic human rights. Tatchell inspires those around him to fight for basic necessities, “Everybody has a voice. It’s just that some voices are harder to here” - Author Unknown. Peter Tatchell acts as the amplification for the LGBT that can’t speak out in fear of consequences. He allows their voice to be heard across the nation, inspiring millions across the globe to speak up and speak out for equality among all.  His use of courage and determination through his work as a social advocate of LGBT not only changed the world, but bettered it. Making Peter Tatchell a true, modern American Hero in the eyes of millions worldwide.

Work Cited

O'Keeffe, Alice. "The trials of Peter: Peter Tatchell is the British gay movement's great campaigner. But now that so many of the battles here have been won, does he think it's time for a different kind of gay politics?" New Statesman, 23 July 2007, p. 38+. General Reference Center GOLD,

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A167969614/GPS?u=powa9245&sid=GPS&xid=ca5b3399.

Accessed 2 Apr. 2019.

“Peter Gary Tatchell.” Hutchinson’s Biography Database, July 2011, p. 1. EBSCOhost, search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=b6h&AN=32235926&site=brc-live.

"UK gay rights activist arrested in Russia as World Cup opens." CNN Wire, 14 June 2018. Student Resources In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A542622163/SUIC?u=powa9245&sid=SUIC&xid=bb4f25a9.

Accessed 2 Apr. 2019.

"Peter Tatchell: 'The Commonwealth is institutionally anti-gay'." Telegraph Online, 7 Apr. 2018. Student Resources In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A533757248/SUIC?u=powa9245&sid=SUIC&xid=04495d58.

"Peter Tatchell hits back at claims he is a bigot; Gay rights campaigner forced to defend himself against bizarre claim that he is racist and transphobic." Telegraph Online, 15 Feb. 2016. Student Resources In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A443314038/SUIC?u=powa9245&sid=SUIC&xid=845ca520. Accessed 4 Apr. 2019.

Tatchell, Peter. "Black and gay and hunted: in Jamaica, lesbians and gays are the victims of violent persecution--often murder. Fuelling this gay-bashing are popular reggae lyrics. Peter Tatchell takes on their singers." New Statesman, 4 Oct. 2004, p. 24+. Student Resources In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A123582719/SUIC?u=powa9245&sid=SUIC&xid=21a9195e. Accessed 4 Apr. 2019

Tatchell, Peter. "Iraq: one small step." New Statesman, 29 May 2006, p. 19. Student Resources In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A147469944/SUIC?u=powa9245&sid=SUIC&xid=3e49967c. Accessed 4 Apr. 2019.

Tatchell, Peter. "Why I stood against Russian homophobia: Putin had to be denied a PR victory." New Statesman, 22 June 2018, p. 13+. Student Resources In Context,

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A545023259/SUIC?u=powa9245&sid=SUIC&xid=3f1946d9.

Accessed 2 Apr. 2019.

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A443314038/SUIC?u=powa9245&sid=SUIC&xid=845ca520. Accessed 4 Apr. 2019.