Ralph Ravenschlag

by Katrin Smith from Boulder, Colorado in United States

One word that describes my grandfather: determined. My grandfather, Ralph, means so much to me and has such a large impact on my life. He was the kind of person who always put other people first, even people he didn’t know. Throughout his life, he spent his time helping others around him, and in many situations, he did need to think about himself, but instead he thought of and helped others. My grandfather taught middle school and high school, was a principal for an elementary school and was a sports coach for a number of high school sports, including track and field, basketball, and football. He also taught P.E. to all grades, and then finally switched to teaching fifth grade to finish out his teaching career. He cared beyond the classroom. If his students were struggling with something such as a family issue, he would reach out and offer support and advice. He even donated a family car into one of the student’s families that were in need. 

Many people have said that my grandfather was the best teacher they ever had. He mainly taught social studies during the later part of his teaching career. He found a unique way for the children in his classes to learn. Instead of just lecturing them, he would take them out into the world and let them see things. He had a mountain property where he took his classroom students on field trips to go rock climbing and do other outdoor activities. He finally retired from teaching after thirty years. His passion for teaching and for his students showed every day of his career, bringing his classroom to life with his imagination, humor, and ability to connect with others. He was rewarded by his students from the past by staying in touch with them. The former students would share their appreciation and the inspiration he provided them as a teacher and a friend. Besides teaching, he volunteered at local and national parks, helped his neighbors by doing handyman work and helped them fix their barns and cars. He also volunteered as a fireman to fight forest fires. He always unconditionally gave people the benefit of the doubt, knowing that they were trying their best. 

I chose my grandfather as my hero because he has always was so kind to others. He always helped people out in the community. No matter who it was, he would give them support and spend time with them. He would never accept any awards that people would try to give him, because of his genuine personality. He enjoyed helping people and making a difference with his students, school, and community. He made things better. But sadly, last year at eighty years old, he got a rare type of Leukemia; he fought harder than anyone. But in the end, the cancer won. Memories of him will always stay with me. It was frustrating to see such a good person have such a terrible thing happen to them.