Shirok

by nilufar from Fergana

In old times, there was a man named Shirok who loved his people and would do anything so that his people could live peacefully, without war. When the king, Doro, wanted to fight with them, to kill and steal from them, Shirok gathered his people and said, "I want to fight with Doro and his people, myself. I'll cut my nose and ears and tell them lies [that his people had done this to him and that he would hand them over to Doro and his armies]. I think they will believe me, and this way, I can defeat them."

Saying these words, he cut off his nose and ears and went to out to defeat Doro. He told them to take enough food for 5 days and that he would take them to the place where all his people were hidden.

He took them to the forest. They walked a lot, and after 5 days their food was finished, but they kept on going. On the 6th day they figured out that they had been lied to. At last Shirok laughed and said, "You see Doro, I beat you, by myself. I brought you here and now you can't go anywhere, you are lost in the middle of the desert." The king was angry and chopped off his head. Shirok died, but his people were free.

The My Hero Project - Shirok saved his people

PLEASE NOTE: THIS AUTHOR SAYS TO BE A TEACHER OF "PARVOZ" IN UZBEKISTAN, AND SAYS THAT S/HE WANTS TO WRITE ABOUT UZBEKISTAN'S HEROES. BUT I'M NOT SURE WHAT TO DO WITH THIS STORY, AS IT IS PRETTY GRAPHIC. HOW DO WE APPROACH GRAPHIC CONTENT, WHEN IT IS NOT NECESSARILY INTENDING TO PURPOSEFULLY PROMOTE VIOLENCE?
(HAS OTHERWISE BEEN EDITED) CH