Simone Veil

by Mathilde Dewever from Chemy, in France

133124Simone Veil defending her law at the National Assemblyhttps://www.marianne.net/politique/simone-veil-ce-que-nous-lui-devons     To begin with, Simone Veil was born in 1927 and she died in 2017 at 90 years old. Then, she entered at the Pantheon on July the first 2018. She has therefore joined 77 personalities, 73 men and 4 women, such as Zola, Voltaire, Marie Curie and her husband.                                                                                                                  

Firstly, Simone didn't have an easy life. Indeed, she was a Jew so she was deported to Auschwitz at 17 years old and she was with her sister, the only other survivor of her family. That’s why, for me she’s the most brave, courageous, exceptional and powerful woman that I know. In addition to that, in 1974 she became minister of health. That’s the reason why she fought in favor of her law for contraception, a huge progress for women. She also created a law to legalize abortion which raised polemic but she persevered.

Afterwards, she was the first female president of the European Parliament and also, the first female minister. She’s the most persevering, humanist and admirable woman because she never gives up and she’s really involved in everything she does.

A Hero is a person who can save you from any situation, the one who can take you to heights that you've never dreamed of. Heroes, by their very nature are exceptional, expect that of yourself. All people can be a hero because the world transforms into your kingdom and while it doesn't owe you anything, you owe it to yourself to take what's yours from the world. So, be your own person, live with courage, and follow your heart. It will never lead you astray!

As far as I’m concerned, Simone Veil is my perfect hero because she’s an example for all women, as well as for future generations. We should never forget that she spent most of her life to lead the fight for the progress of women’s rights and she survived the horror of concentration camps. To conclude with one of her famous quotes: "It’s here, where absolute evil was perpetrated, that the will must resurface for a fraternal world, a world based on respect of man and his dignity”.