by Srishti Mann from Sydney in Australia

Schools are closed, we’re confined to our homes and the future feels very uncertain. We are living through history. Future historians may look back on the journals, essays and art to see what had happened because of this virus. This virus has had our lives turned upside down. Travel ends, socializing feels very uncertain, sitting down to rest in parks has become an issue. We are stuck! We seem to be filled with fear for the future. But some kind people stepped up to help others in need. 

Teachers, nurses, doctors, and grocery shop workers have been frontline workers during the Coronavirus. Teachers are great examples and role models of heroes. Even though school buildings are shuttered, that doesn’t mean learning has stopped. Even with the virus spreading uncontrollably, teachers came to school to help educate students for their future lying ahead. Risking their life for students, whilst the students were studying from home, safe. There are more than 1,776,000 schools and approximately 90 million teachers around the world that continued their service even through this tough time. 

Some teachers have difficulties in operating technical devices. They overcame this challenge in order for the students to have an education through this tough time. We don’t know how they overcame this challenge and with what difficulties, but it would have been difficult to use something that they have no experience in with only a limited time given.

Through my personal experience I have found teachers being heroes of our community through their constant effort and time put towards Zoom calls and helping students overcome difficulties without face-to-face contact. Teachers answered emails consisting of questions, and during a time like this they would have two times the emails they usually got. They must have gotten emails all day, and they must have answered their emails. Their timetable must have been turned upside down. They must have used some of their free time to help us.

Therefore teachers wanted to help students and inspire them during this tough time. They made their students believe that their learning wouldn’t stop and they would help them as much as they could. Teachers are important community heroes!