Terry Fox

by Salma from Mississauga, Ontario in Canada

“I just wish people would realize that anything is possible if they try – dreams are made if people try.” — Terry Fox
Terry Fox monument
Terry Fox monument

Terry Fox had a dream and he would tell anyone who would listen. His dream was very simple. His dream was one that gave others courage and inspiration.

Terry Fox was a very courageous young Canadian athlete. He was born as Terrance Stanley Fox in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Terry’s life was shattered in 1977 when his right leg was amputated due to bone cancer. Terry didn’t let himself down. Instead, he got himself an artificial leg and his dream began to form.

Already, Terry showed signs of determination. He wanted to do something that no one had ever done before. He required a cure for the deadly disease that was haunting him. Amazingly, this young man didn’t only want this cure for himself, but for all of the other people in Canada and the world suffering from cancer each year.

Throughout Fox’s recovery, something seriously inspired him to run across Canada to raise money for cancer. Within his first few months of training, he was already having difficulties. But this on-going athlete was committed to his dream. After a long and hard work-filled 16 months, Terry Fox was prepared to run.

His dream was truly coming true. The Marathon of Hope began on April 12th, 1980, when Terry dipped his artificial leg into the Atlantic Ocean and began his journey. Terry truly inspired hundreds and thousands of people. Not only did he give hope to the victims suffering from cancer, but he also gave hope to others suffering from a deadly, life- threatening disease. He even gave hope to everyone that one person can make a difference. Thousands of people supported Terry by lining up on streets and highways. All thanks to an encouraging nation’s support, The Marathon of Hope was a success.

On September 1st, ugly news was told to Fox. Terry Fox was forced to give up his run after learning that cancer had spread to his lungs. Before it was too late, Canada recognized this young man and awarded him the Order of Canada. We can only now look back and be thankful that Canada awarded Terry Fox with the highest civilian award before he passed away. But he gave us something even more precious.

Terry Fox is a hero to thousands of Canadians. He has helped hundreds with cancer and others with life-threatening diseases. If it weren’t for Terry Fox, how could we be sure that cancer would have gotten this much attention? An amazing amount of money was raised by this brave and young individual and gave researchers a huge step to finding the cure.

“Though we may never have a cure for this disease, Terry gave us the hope that maybe someday the skies will brighten and a cure will exist.” says a scientist.

What is our final conclusion you ask? Well, in my opinion, I would say that Terry Fox had one true dream he believed would come true if he tried and he has definitely tried and would have continued if the cancer did not spread to his lungs. He was a very brave, courageous and young athlete who changed each and every person’s life with his achievement. He taught all of us with his saying that you should never be afraid to fulfill your dream, you have to try.

Terry Fox will always be remembered as the young man who made huge differences with just one dream. He helped patients; he convinced citizens to help and finally, gave scientists a huge step to finding a cure. Terry Fox’s story will be told as a legend and will be told to our future children and grandchildren.

“I’m not a dreamer, I’m not saying this will initiate any kind of definitive answer or cure to cancer, but I believe in miracles. I have to.”