The Heroic Mother

by Ty Wieters from Charlotte, NC

The Heroic Mother 

What is a hero? Many people think that a hero has to be in a movie or have superpowers and fly around in a cape. But a hero could be anyone. It could be a janitor who cleans up the cafeteria selflessly for other people or a celebrity who anonymously donates money to help kids with cancer. My hero is my mom. She is an ordinary stay-at-home mom who has been with me my entire life. She has made other people's lives better - as well as mine - by just being herself. My mom is my hero because she has the patience of a saint, is wise and makes all decisions through God, and is humble and never takes credit for herself. Cape or no cape, she is the most heroic person I have ever seen.

Patience is my favorite character trait of my moms. She is always patient with me and other people. Once, she had to call AT&T to get a better box for the wifi. The person on the phone was apparently not very skilled in helping people with this. It took a really long time to get a new box, but mom was patient during the whole process. The person on the phone was always messing up the date when they could come over to replace it, but she kept her cool. Another way I see her being patient is in the kitchen.  Whenever she messes up a recipe for dinner, she doesn't just walk away and not cook again. Instead she perseveres until she gets it perfected. My mom has always had the patience of a saint.

A different, but equally important, character trait my mom has is wisdom. She has always given the best advice when my sisters or I have problems. I remember when one of my friends and I had a falling-out.  He stole a prized possession of mine, but I retaliated and did the same thing to him. We were not friends for a month. I asked my mom if she could help me get my friend back. Mom told me about a Bible verse where someone should not have been forgiven, but the person who was sinned against forgave him anyway. The next day I went to school and apologized to my friend for taking one of his cards.  We were then friends again. Thanks to my mom’s wise advice, I have saved many friendships from falling apart and spiraling out of control. This wisdom is heroic in my eyes.

Lastly, being humble would be another character trait I admire in her. Whenever she does something that is pleasing to God and people, she never takes all of the credit herself. She points it to other people and God. My considerate mom regularly volunteers at shelters to help people who are not as fortunate as us. She treats them equally and never tries to act like she is better than them. My mom serves our family without complaining. Over and over she has put my needs or commitments above her own.  She takes me to my practices and watches my games instead of doing something she would like to do, or needs to do, that is more important than my agenda. In 1 Peter 5:5 it says, “God shows favor to the humble.” God will show favor to my mom because she is humble.

My mom has always been wanting the best for our family and people she doesn't even know. She always puts herself last and God first. Yeah she messes up sometimes,but even though she does, I have never seen anyone with so much grit to help the world know about Jesus. I am going to strive to be more like my mom. Even though she is not flying around in a cape, and she isn’t a celebrity,  she is still my hero.