Vernon Hall

by Kristina P.

Who is considered a hero or role model? Some individuals, when asked this question, think of an individual who is extraordinarily strong, able to do anything, or someone able to save others. This defines the physical definition of the word hero, but there is so much more on an emotional level. A hero also shows proper guidance, expresses care, love and kindness, and is always conscious of others' well-being before his own.

My hero and role model is a great man that fits those qualities -- Vernon Hall. I met Vern, as most call him, while working for my college at John Carroll University. Vern is my supervisor in the recreation department. Over the past few months of getting to know Vern, I learned much about giving to others and looking at the bright sides to life rather than the bad. I have had the most pleasant time working with him.

An Arial Shot of the John Carroll Campus<br>Photo from <a href=http://www.jcu.edu/about/history.htm>John Carroll University Web site</a>
An Arial Shot of the John Carroll Campus
Photo from John Carroll University Web site

Vern has had quite an eventful life, with many things to look back on. This is inspirational to me because it gives me the motivation to achieve as much as I can without others putting me down.

In Vern's youth, after high school, he joined the army and passed demolition school. This shows his courage and fearlessness to help his country. This is the hero side of Vern that defines a hero on a physical level. Another way I consider Vern a fighter is the battle he put up after suffering a stroke that ended up paralyzing an entire portion of his body. For a while, he was unable to do much of anything, including taking care of himself. Fortunately, he battled this through physical therapy and with a positive attitude. His positive drive helped him recover to the fullest extent possible. This is something that opened my eyes to see what a beaufiful person and kind souled man Vern is. To go through that and still be able to smile day-to-day, help others and have the right attitude about it made me realize why get angry over the small things in life. I think I have it so bad when there are others facing more challenging hardships. Often, in those types of situations, people tend to become bitter and feel sorry for themselves, but Vern shows that inner strength and happiness are the tools for healing.

Once Vern healed from the stroke, he participated in various volunteer activities and got a job working for hospitals. In the hospitals he worked to improve the equipment for patients and came up with new devices to comfort patients as much as possible, again showing his passion for caring for others' well-being. Vern actively participates in volunteer work with the United Way, as a coordinator for a summer youth program, by helping in a Vacation Bible School, with biblical studies, and as a club master for the Cub Scouts. Vern was also in the local Euclid, Ohio paper for organizing a block party on his street to better unite neighbors in his hometown.

Vern now is currently still involved in volunteering as much as possible and works as a supervisor for John Carroll University. He is well-known on campus by students, faculty and local residents. There is not enough to be said about how greatly adored Vern is. Just speaking to him only a few minutes reveals his caring personality. Vern not only helps others through volunteering, but truly listens to people and gives great advice to help people better themselves and their situations.

Knowing Vern has truly changed my views on life for the better. I hope there are more people in this world like Vern to give guidance to others just as he is doing for me. Vern is one of my many angels God has put on this Earth, and an example of the true definition of a hero and role model.

John Carroll University
Ohio United Way - Their mission is to improve the quality of life for individuals through public policy development, advocacy and support for United Ways.