Amy Biehl

by Juliet from Fredericksburg

"Through her, our peoples have also shared the pain of confronting a terrible past, as we take the path towards the reconciliation and healing of our nation" (Nelson Mandela).
Amy Biehl with an African child. (Moments in U.S. Diplomatic History)

Due to her selflessness, strive for goodness, and sacrifice, Amy Biehl died a hero during the South African Apartheid fighting against racial segregation and for human rights. Her story has inspired hundreds to follow in her steps, due to the foundation that her family started, which raises not only money but also awareness, which supports human rights,. This foundation gives more opportunities to the children of the Western Cape. Born and raised in America, one woman decided to fend for human rights in Africa, due to her studies of idealism at Stanford that grew her passion for doing what's right and helping the underprivileged. The act of selflessness is essential to being a hero because they set aside their needs and the easier option to help others. Amy was selfless; she could have easily not gone to South Africa because of the major danger and racial genocide that was taking place at the time, but that's when South Africa needed her the most. "She believed it was her duty, as a person afforded opportunity and education, to actively seek social change for those not so fortunate" (The Amy Biehl Foundation). Africa wasn't her country; she didn't have an obligation to devote her life for this country in need. However, she put the dangers and the discrimination aside to go to this country in 1993 to die a horrifying death, which involved her being not only stoned, but also stabbed. "Through her, our peoples have also shared the pain of confronting a terrible past, as we take the path towards the reconciliation and healing of our nation"(Nelson Mandela). Her sacrifice was the most effective and tragic part of what makes her a hero to the American community. Amy was a valedictorian of her local high school and then attending Stanford, she was well informed of the situation that she would be acquiring in her journey to South Africa. Due to the lack of attention that the Apartheid received from the Americans, she decided to go and put her studies to work. She was familiar with the violence and hatred that certain groups were receiving due to racial segregation. Her strive for goodness and morality makes her a hero to many because not loads of people are determined enough to go into treacherous situations so that others might have basic rights. She helped many receive the right to vote in certain areas, and if she had lived, it is believed that she would have worked with the children of Africa about their rights to education and other necessities. Her sacrifice affected hundreds to follow in her footsteps and caused the foundation to raise and support human rights. Knowing how dangerous the crisis was in Africa, it didn't stop Amy from doing what was honorable and ethical. She risked and lost the most valuable thing that a person can risk, their life. After the case of her death was investigated, it was claimed by one of her murders that they were killing white people to sending indications to the government and trying to get a response from them. Some could say that she was a victim of a racial crime, but the affects her death had on her family and family made them start a foundation. So that the purpose of her sacrifice didn't die with her and still lives. Being a hero is going above and beyond to do what is right and for unselfish reasons. In her endeavor, Amy Biehl worked in underprivileged areas of South America before she was killed to try to help them achieve rights.

Amy Biehl Foundation - A foundation for the Western African child in Honor of Amy Biehl.

Biehl, A.. "Together Changing Children''s Lives." Amy Biehl Foundatio.

Stebillia, Chris. "Moments in U.S. Diplomatic History.." South Africas Truth.

Cole, Stephanie. The My Hero Project - Amy Biehl.

Biehls, D.. The Amy Biehl Foundation, Perpetuating Amy''s Work in South Africa.

Mandela, Nelson. Nelson Mandela - Speech Accepting the Congressional Gold Medal.