Filmmaker

Tige Charity and KITS

by Abigail Richardson from MY HERO Staff

Tige Charity, originally from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and who now resides in Los Angeles, is the founder of Kids in the Spotlight, Inc. (KITS).

Charity is a graduate of Oral Roberts University with a B.S. Degree in Accounting. In 2014, Charity received a Masters of Business Administration in Nonprofit Management from American Jewish University where she is now an Adjunct Instructor. In addition to her education, Ms. Charity has more than 16 years of experience working as a Litigation Claims Specialist for various insurance companies.

Before launching KITS in 2009, Tige experienced a pivotal moment during a visit to a foster youth girls’ home in Los Angeles, where her husband, actor Antonio Charity, was teaching acting classes. The experience opened her eyes to the struggles and resilience of foster youth, inspiring her to create a program that would empower them to tell their own stories. Charity holds a degree in Accounting from Oral Roberts University and an MBA in Nonprofit Management from American Jewish University. She has also completed prestigious fellowships and leadership programs that reflect her commitment to community service and nonprofit excellence. Through KITS, Charity’s mission is to offer hope, healing, and a sense of accomplishment to foster youth, using the power of storytelling and filmmaking to help them overcome trauma and find their voice.

168349Tige CharityTige Charity

Charity explains, “As a visionary with a strong faith and a passion for serving others, I have devoted my career to empowering young people in foster care to address and overcome trauma through the power of storytelling. In 2009, I founded Kids in the Spotlight, Inc. (KITS), a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides year-round 10-week script-to-screen workshops to train youth in foster care to write, cast, & star in their own short films telling their stories their way. We provide an outlet & platform for these young people to be seen, heard, validated, celebrated, & employed. My mission is to offer hope, healing, and a sense of accomplishment to youth in foster care throughout the country. I am passionate about motivating, educating, and leading a team of change agents who understand the power of teamwork, community, and giving back. I share my insights and experiences in my book, "Not Your 9-to-5 Girl," available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.”

KITS has been featured in prominent media outlets such as "The Kelly Clarkson Show," "NBC4 Live", "The Jim Jefferies Show," CBS "Entertainment Tonight" & "The Insider," KTLA Morning News, Telemundo, & Wireimage.com., L.A. Times, Hollywood Reporter, Golden Globes, Vibe Magazine, L.A. Sentinel, Pasadena Weekly, Celebrity Society Magazine, & others.

Kids in the Spotlight: Healing and Empowering Foster Youth Through Filmmaking

KITS empowers foster care youth, ages 12-22, to heal and overcome trauma through storytelling and filmmaking. The idea behind KITS is simple yet profound: allow foster youth to create their own narratives. This process provides a creative outlet and helps the youth build confidence, learn new skills, and heal from past trauma. KITS mentors guide these young filmmakers from script to screen, culminating in an annual awards ceremony where the films are showcased, and the achievements of these young people are celebrated.

KITS' flagship program, Script-to-Screen, brings filmmaking to youth in foster care. Through a series of workshops and mentorship sessions, participants learn the essentials of scriptwriting, acting, casting, and production. With the support of industry professionals, they transform their ideas into 10-minute short films. This hands-on experience allows the participants to express their thoughts, feelings, and experiences in a safe and supportive environment.

One of the highlights of the KITS program is the annual KITS Film Awards, a red-carpet event where the completed films are screened for an audience of peers, family, and supporters. This "Oscar-like" ceremony recognizes the hard work and talent of the young filmmakers, with awards for Best Film, Best Actor, Best Screenplay, Best Supporting Actor, and Best Ensemble Cast. It's a night of celebration, giving these young people a moment in the spotlight and validating their stories.

Since its founding in 2009, KITS has produced over 80 short films with the participation of more than 850 foster youth. The program's impact extends beyond the screen, with many alumni finding careers in the entertainment industry and related fields. The opportunity to work with industry professionals and gain real-world experience opens doors for these young people, helping them transition to successful adulthood.

The recognition KITS has received is a testament to its success. It was named the 2022 FosterMorey Awards’ Organization of the Year, and its founder, Tige Charity, has received numerous awards for her work in the community. KITS has also garnered media attention, with features on "The Kelly Clarkson Show," "NBC4 Live," "The Jim Jefferies Show," and other prominent outlets.

How to Get Involved

KITS is not just about filmmaking; it's about creating a supportive community for foster youth. There are many ways to get involved and support their mission. From volunteering as a mentor or industry professional to sponsoring the annual KITS Film Awards, your support can make a significant difference in the lives of these young people. Find out more: https://kitsinc.org/support/

For those interested in experiencing the films created by KITS participants, the organization has partnered with IndieFlix, allowing viewers to watch their short films from anywhere. To learn more, visit the KITS channel on IndieFlix or click HERE

When approached by MY HERO, Charity declared that she was honored to be highlighted in the 'inspirational' MY HERO Calendar and when asked about her own heroes, she stated, "My heroes have been my mother, father, and both of my grandmothers. They laid the groundwork for the person I am today, imparting lessons on unconditional love, everlasting kindness, and leading with both passion and compassion."

Kid in the Spotlight - Empowering Foster Youth Through Filmmaking