Privacy Policy / Takedown Policy

Privacy Policy / Takedown Policy

What information do we ask for?

A visitor wishing to sign the MY HERO guestbook or build a hero web page will be asked for the following information:

First and Last name
        Age
        City, State and Country
        Phone Number
        Email Address
        Additional information

It is possible to use the MY HERO guestbook while only disclosing a minimum of personal information, such as by giving a first name only, or by using initials. Providing a phone number, city, email address, and additional information is optional.

How do we use this information?

MY HERO will never sell or share personal information with third parties. We might use contact information, such as an email address, for any or all of the following purposes:

1) To contact a writer in order to request further information for a story.

2) To inform the writer of our intent to launch the story.

3) To inform the writer of our intent to feature (publish) the story. In this case, we award the writer a MY HERO T-Shirt prize and request the writer's mailing address. A school address may be given and it is often the case that MY HERO will send T-Shirt prizes addressed to the student's instructor at the school address. 

4) We keep our writer database in a secure file, accessible only to MY HERO staff members. In the event that a MY HERO television series is produced, we intend to contact the writer of the stories we wish to use. 

5) To contact teachers and parents with information about materials, activities, or other things that might be of interest to them. 

6) We sometimes use the information for internal purposes, for instance, to analyze site usage. Furthermore, we will disclose information we maintain when required to do so by law, for example in response to a court order or a subpoena, and might disclose information in response to a law enforcement agency's request.

How do we collect information?

We receive information that visitors put into the guestbook entry or into the online registration or survey forms. Cookies are small text files that can be placed in visitors' computer browsers to store their preferences. Cookies are not in use on this site.

What about outside links?

www.myhero.com contains screened links to other sites. Those sites' information practices may be different from ours. Visitors should consult the other sites' privacy policies because their sites are not covered by our policy.

COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT NOTICE & TAKEDOWN POLICY

Notification of Infringement

The MY HERO Project, Inc. (“MY HERO”) abides by the federal Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) by responding to written notifications of alleged infringement by legitimate copyright holders by removing material residing on our website, myhero.com  

If you are a copyright owner

If you are a copyright owner and you believe that your work is being infringed upon on our not-for- profit, educational website, MYHERO.COM, we encourage you to contact MY HERO with an informal request for content removal.

When you contact MY HERO please provide the exact URL (the “address” or “location” of the page as shown by your web browser) of the content and provide enough information to substantiate your claim of copyright ownership. You must support your concern with a link to your publication, a scanned page of the work, and enough publication details for MY HERO to evaluate your request.

Informal requests for content removal should be emailed to:  [email protected]

Alternatively, you may initiate a formal DMCA takedown process of copyright infringement notification to MY HERO, via a written communication (by postal mail, overnight mail, or, when digitally-signed, by email) to our copyright agent.  The takedown notice must substantially comply with the provisions of 17. U.S.C. § 512(c)(3)(A).  Submission of a takedown notice further requires that you consent to the jurisdiction of a United States court.  Statutory requirements of a valid DMCA takedown notice include:

• Identification of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed;
  • Identification of the specific material that is claimed as infringing and information sufficient to permit MY HERO to locate that material on our website (providing a URL is the best way to help us locate the content quickly);
  • A statement that you believe, in good faith, that the use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or by law;
  • If you are not the copyright owner, a description of your relationship to the copyright owner;
  • Your contact information, including your name, address, telephone number, and email address;
  • A statement, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner; and
  • A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.

MY HERO’s Response to Notifications

Following receipt of a proper written notification, MY HERO will expeditiously remove or disable the allegedly infringing content.  We may suspend or terminate access to the account portions of our website for users that repeatedly or egregiously infringe the copyrights of others.

Copyright Agent Information

Both infringement notifications should be submitted to our Copyright Agent using the following information:

To:                        The MY HERO Project, Inc.

Attention:           Jeanne Meyers, Copyright Agent

Subject Line:      DMCA Notification

Send electronically-signed communication to:

Email:                  [email protected]

Address:             

The MY HERO Project

1278 Glenneyre #286

Laguna Beach, CA  92651

Telephone:        (949) 376-5964

Digital Millennium Copyright Act

You may download and print the full text of the DMCA here:

http://copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf