Amelia Earhart

by Megan from Barrie

"Please know that I am aware of the hazards. I want to do it because I want to do it. Women must try to do things as men have tried. When they fail, their failure must be a challenge to others."

“Please know that I am aware of the hazards. I want to do it because I want to do it. Women must try to do things as men have tried. When they fail, their failure must be a challenge to others.” -Amelia Earhart

Amelia Earhart was the first women to fly a plane, and she stood up for what she believed in. She showed that women have the same rights that men do, and she inspires me to stand up for what I believe in.

Amelia was born on July 24, 1897 in Atchison, Kansas, and went to the Purdue University.

Her mom was Amy Earhart, her dad was Edwin Earhart and she had a sister named Muriel. She also had a grandfather named Alfred Otis, who she lived with for several years.

When Amelia was 10, she went to a fair and there she saw her first plane. But, she didn’t find it interesting at all. She said, “It was a thing of rusty wire and not at all interesting…”

One day, Amelia got a phone call from H.H Railey asking if she would like to be the first women to fly a plane across the Atlantic Ocean. When she started her tour around the world, Amelia had to delay her flight over and over again due to bad weather conditions. Amelia kept on trying and waiting for the weather to clear up so she could start her tour, and she eventually did.

Amelia flew across the Atlantic doing something that only men were said to do. She stood up for the fact that a women can do anything that a man can do and without her women may not be able to fly today.

Amelia won the award for most outstanding women and even served as a consultant in the department study of careers for women in the Purdue University in India. She inspired women all around the world to do things that only men had ever done.

She was the first women to fly across the Atlantic in 1928, and was the second person in the world to fly across the Atlantic. Amelia was the first person to fly from Hawaii to California in 1935. In the fall of 1929, she was elected as an official for the National Aeronautic Association and helped the Federation Aeronautic International provide separate endurance, world altitude and speed records for women.

Amelia displayed courage, because it takes courage to stand up for what she did and it takes a lot of courage to fly across an ocean solo. Amelia also shows fairness by showing men and women as equals.

Amelia Earhart influences me to never believe that a male is better than me just because he’s a male. She makes me believe in myself and never give up, even if my goal seems so far away. Whenever I mess up or make a mistake I think of how many Amelia had, and how she eventually succeeded, and so will I.

Unfortunately, Amelia disappeared during her flight over the Atlantic Ocean, and we still don't know where or how she died, but Amelia Earhart will never be forgotten.