Anne Frank

by Maria C. from T.M.M.S. Chicago

Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart.
A picture of Anne Frank. (annefrank.org ())

Anne Frank was a Jewish girl. Anne was from Frankfurt, Germany. She lived during the Holocaust. She dreamed of becoming an actress. Anne Frank was born on June 12, 1929 and died in March 1942. She died when she was 15 years old in Lower Saxony, Germany. In her thirteen birthday she received her diary. She wrote about her life hiding from the Nazis but soon she was arrested. Anne Frank was a famous writer because of her diaries. Her mother was Edith Frank, her father was Otto Frank.

Anne's family hid for two long years before they were caught by the Nazis. During that time Anne kept a diary. In summer 1933 the first anti-Jewish laws were pass. The Frank family must move to the Netherlands but on May 10, 1940 the German army invaded the Netherlands . On July 5, 1942 Anne's sister, Margot received a call-up for deportation to a forced-labor camp. The Frank family went into hiding the very next day, to the secret annex. The Frank's apartment was left in a state of disarray so it made a impression that they had left instantly. Otto Frank left a note that hinted they left to Switzerland. Jews were not allow to use public transportation so they needed to walk several kilometers from their home with each of them wearing several layers of clothes. They didn't want to see them carrying luggage. On July 13, 1942 a Jewish family joined them in hiding. They were the van Pels. On November 16, 1942 another family join them there were the eigth and final family. But on August 4, 1944 the secret annex was betrayed. They were arrested, they are taken to a police station in Amsterdam. Then from there eventually they were taken to Westerbork transit camp. Everyone hiding the eight families were taken to the camp in a cattle car to Auschwitz.

Life in camp Westerbork camp was very difficult and exhausting. Anne and the eight families were taken to Westerbork camp. They were taken to the barracks. Anne ended up in the same barracks as her mother Edith and with her sister Margot. Later Anne and Margot were taken to Bergen-Belsen. When there Anne died on March 1945 when she was only 15 years old. Otto Frank was the only one that survived from the annex secret hide out. Van Pels was murdered in the gas chambers and Auguste was throw into a train while transported. The others died of diseases and exhaustion. In the Westerbork the times were hard and very complicated. The eight Families that were in the secret Annex must leave to camp Auschwitz. The train trip was exhausting. They could barely breathe. The train sped up but then it lost its speed and slowed down. Rosa de Winter-Levy said that after two days they were exhausted and that men died crying that children wouldn't take it anymore. On 1995 January 27 Russian Allies liberated the survivors including Otto Frank, Anne's father. In March Anne's sister Margot died from typhus in Auschwitz.

Otto Frank, Anne's dad, was liberated from the Auschwitz by the Russian army. He is first taken to Odessa but then to France before he can return to Amsterdam. On June 3, 1945 Otto returned to Amsterdam where he reunited with Miep and Jan Gies. He then knew his wife Edith Frank was dead but he had no idea his daughters died too. Otto still had hope. But on October 24, 1945 he received a letter that his daughter died in at Bergen-Belsen. Miep gave Anne's diary to him. Miep found and hide the diary, hoping to give it to Anne some day. She gave it to Otto. Then he published Anne's diary for her and it was a very famous book.

Who is Anne Frank? She was a famous writer. Her diaries are famous. Anne wrote about life in camp  when hiding. She was taken to Westerbork camp but later taken to Bergen-Belsen. She died on March 1942. Later her dad was the only one that survived in the camp. He was liberated. He wanted to find his daughters but they were already dead but he didn't know. Finally Otto published Anne's diary.

Why is Anne Framk my hero? Because she was a young girl that just lost her life when she was 15 years old. Anne Frank inspires me to be strong and do what's right. Why? Because she survived hiding for many years until they where discover by the Nazis. That's why Anne Frank is an inspiration for me to be strong and brave as well as she was.