Anthony (Tony) Keith Gwynn Sr.

by Jackson from San Diego

( (www.vintagecardprices.com))
( (www.vintagecardprices.com))

"I had no idea that all the things in my career were going to happen. I sure didn't see it. I just know the good Lord blessed me with ability, blessed me with good eyesight and a good pair of hands, and then I worked at the rest" (Brainy Quotes). Tony Gwynn was a hardworking/humble ball player who has an important impact on all of baseball and the fans who watched. "Anthony Keith Gwynn   was born on May 9, 1960, in Los Angeles and raised in Long Beach, California, the second of three boys born to Charles and Vendella Gwynn" ("Tony Gwynn."). His credentials: "San Diego Padres, outfielder; 1982-2001; San Diego State University, head baseball coach, 2002-14; ESPN, broadcast announcer, 2002-05; TBS, broadcast announcer, 2007-08" ("Tony Gwynn."). To be a hero, one must possess work ethic and loyalty. Tony Gwynn, without doubt, displayed both immense work ethic and loyalty throughout his life/career.

(www.baseball-cards-and-collectibles.com ())

Tony Gwynn worked hard throughout his career and persevered in lieu of obstacles. Gale's Contemporary Black Biography announced several years after Gwynn retired, "In January of 2007, the Baseball Writers Association of America elected Gwynn to the Hall of Fame" ("Tony Gwynn."). Eventually, Gwynn earned baseball's highest honor. It took him several years to achieve this honor and immense work to qualify to be in the Hall of Fame. During his final two seasons as a pro player, "Gwynn was rarely healthy enough to play. He could still hit .300, but chronic leg trouble made running the bases or playing a defensive position extremely difficult" ("Tony Gwynn."). He persevered no matter what. Not even his cancer could stop him. In conclusion, Tony Gwynn would fight through severe illnesses to help his team.

In addition to his incredible work ethic, Gwynn was loyal to San Diego his entire life. After Gwynn's passing, Kevin Acee from the San Diego Union Tribune stated, "On June 16 of last year, many years too early, we lost Mr. Padre. Mr. Aztec. Mr. San Diego. But the thing about a man whose legacy is so unmatched and unblemished, is that it is unending" (Acee). San Diego loved Tony Gwynn for his loyalty to San Diego which he spent his entire career with. As you might imagine, several organizations made high paying offers to the renowned player, yet he was loyal to San Diego through it all. After his career,  "Gwynn announced he would serve as an unpaid volunteer baseball coach at San Diego State University in 2002, and as head baseball coach there, starting in 2003" ("Gwynn").    After his entire career with San Diego, he came back to be an unpaid volunteer coach when he had unlimited job opportunities to make great money. He spent time out of his day to help the city he loves, without receiving a dime. This shows his true loyalty to San Diego. In conclusion, Gwynn's loyalty to San Diego was unquestionable.

Tony Gwynn was both hard working/perseverance and was always loyal to San Diego.

He worked his way to the Hall of Fame, played through cancer, declined better signing contracts to stay with San Diego, and humbly volunteered as a coach for San Diego State University. Gwynn inspires young players to work hard and to achieve their dreams. Additionally, he proves how life is short and loyalty is more important than materialistic thing/money. In the end, Tony Gwynn should be an inspirational figure that we remember forever.

Acee, Kevin. "Remembering Tony, Hero Who Never Left." The San Diego Union-Tribune.

N.p., 15 June 2015. Web. 03 Feb. 2016.

"Gwynn, Tony." Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia (2015): 1p. 1. Funk &

Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia. Web. 3 Feb. 2016.  

"Tony Gwynn." Contemporary Black Biography. Vol. 122. Detroit: Gale, 2015.

Biography in Context. Web. 4 Feb. 2016.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/jun/15/gwynn-memory-padres-acee/

"Tony Gwynn Quotes." BrainyQuote. Xplore, n.d. Web. 09 Feb. 2016.

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/tony_gwynn.html