Angelina Jolie

by Nika from San Diego

(http://www.unhcr.org/529354976.html ())

Celebrities are seen as people who only have a large bank account and seek for publicity and even more fame. This is a false accusation that has been proven by a celebrity with one of the most immense roles in the world, a U.N. Ambassador. Angelina Jolie, born on June 4, 1975, is a mother of six, an Oscar-winning actress, an activist, but beyond all, a U.N. Goodwill Ambassador for Refugees. Jolie received this title in the year of 2001 in Geneva, Switzerland (Tracy). She was given this award because of all her efforts shown throughout the year while visiting refugee camps around the world. Her decision to start all her visits was inspired by the movie she was working on, Tomb Raider. After returning she saw her life in a new perspective, a grateful one. 'Til this day, Jolie continues to donate money, contribute time, and dedicate her life towards the ones in need. Heroes are known to be held liable for making a difference in humanity as a whole. Possessing such a powerful characteristic, and embracing such a role means to retain other important qualities. These are qualities such as having a purpose in what is being done and knowing that it will make a difference for the better. Being an inspiration is one quality that is highly raved about because that is what makes a hero, a hero. Angelina Jolie possesses vast amounts of heroism by all the time she dedicates to others through her humanitarian efforts and has been recognized by the nation by being rewarded with an honorable role.

(http://www.newsweek.com/secret-world-angelina-joli ())

Angelina Jolie showed great humanitarian efforts with the time she devoted by going around the world to make a difference in people's lives. Jolie was in the middle of filming at the time and had been struck to learn more about what was really going on around the world- "Jolie researched aid relief and the United Nations, and then contacted the United Nations' High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and convinced them to let her travel to Sierra Leone, where a vicious civil war was being waged. She spent two weeks visiting refugee camps. The experience literally changed her life..." (Tracy 88). Jolie believed going through such an experience as this would prepare her for the role she had been playing at the time. In no way had she thought it would change her point of view so drastically. After the visitations to all the refugee camps, she returned home with a different mindset towards her movie, even her life. Jolie decided to do more than just donating money, but she went around doing multiple charitable works- "...In addition to providing financial support herself, Jolie takes a hands-on approach at refugee camps she visits. She helps feed sick children, transport thousands of refugees to safer camps, build huts of mud, and distribute much-needed food and water" (Bella 6). It is true, as a celebrity not everything is about the fame and fortune. Not only did Jolie support her own life, she strived to support others so they could live a stable life. She went to multiple countries that were in need of support and helped with a numerous amount of work that had to be done. Jolie continuously dedicated her time, love, and attention to the people she went around the world helping through all the work she had done for them.

(http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/blogs/suzannah-ramsda ())

All of Angelina Jolie's great efforts led to a lifetime award that can compare to no other. In the August of 2001, it was time that Jolie was perceived as a heroic figure in society which is what exactly happened- "...she was appointed a United Nations goodwill ambassador at an event held in Geneva, Switzerland. Kris Janowski, spokesman for the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, said the actress was the kind of person who can get our message across to young people" (Tracy 88). Angelina Jolie being appointed with such a huge role in our world changed the way the community looked at her. Some say celebrities are all about the publicity and attention, but for Jolie it was all but that. She had been said to be an outstanding role model for the youth of our generation and to teach them the importance of helping out our nation. In April 2012, after being appointed with such a role, Jolie plans to continue to find solutions for the world's conflicts- "...appointed as Special Envoy of UN High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres.. she will be focusing on major crises resulting in mass population displacements; undertaking advocacy. engaging with decision-makers on global displacement issues. finding solutions for people displaced by conflict" ("Angelina... UNHCR Special Envoy"). For all her time of dedication, Jolie was rewarded with an honorable role. She was appointed as U.N. Goodwill Ambassador and she will be focusing on major world problems from here on out. With all her contributions, she is capable of finding solutions to extensive problems. Even after all the contributions and awards, she continues to make a worldwide impact for the better.

It is quite beyond words that Jolie  actively devoted her time to help out others and is worthy to receive such a role in humanity. Angelina Jolie 'til this day as a U.N. Goodwill Ambassador continues to go from country to country  to provide care for the ones who suffer. She continues to donate what she has to charities and organizations who she, herself, knows they need much more than she does. Angelina Jolie made a tremendous impact all over the world and there is no doubt she will continue to. With helping over thirty different charities and causes, she is an outrageous heroic figure. " 'I would never complain again about the stupid things I used to, or be self-destructive, or not realize on a daily basis how lucky I am to have a roof over my head and enough food to eat, ' she elaborated" (Tracy 88). Hearing these powerful words of Jolie sparked a major thought in my head. What am I truly grateful for and am I taking it for granted? She inspired me to look beyond all the materialistic parts of life and focus on what is keeping me alive. It is refreshing to have a person with a pure thought on the meaning of life because it surely inspired me to value and focus on what in my life is critical. People must learn not to be stereotypical about celebrities in our day. Look past all the characters, costumes, and makeup to see who they are themselves, not who they are behind the camera. Surely, there would be a new perspective and take on what society sees celebrities as. Remember, in Jolie's life, money and a new role in a film is not what made her happy nor worth recognition. All her charity work, compassion towards others, visitations around the world, and most of all, her determination to make a better world is what made Jolie who she is. Truly.

"Angelina Jolie: Charity Work & Amp; Causes." Look to the Stars. N.p., n.d. Web. 7 May 2015. <https://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/angelina-jolie>

"Angelina Jolie Named UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador for Refugees." UNHCR News. N.p., n.d. Web. 7 May 2015.

"Angelina Jolie Pitt - UNHCR Special Envoy - USA For UNHCR." USA for UNHCR. N.p., n.d. Web. 7 May 2015.

Bella, Laura La. Angelina Jolie: Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations. New York: Rosen Pub., 2009. Print.

"Bio.Com." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, n.d. Web. 6 May 2015. <http://www.biography.com/people/angelina-jolie-9356782#early-life>.>

Tracy, Kathleen. Angelina Jolie: a Biography. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 2009. Print.