Adam Lambert

by Annie from San Diego

Adam on American Idol
Adam on American Idol

Christopher Reeve once said, “A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” (Reeve). This quote describes the definition of my hero, Adam Lambert. On January 29, 1982 in Indianapolis, Indiana, Adam was born. Adam hid a secret from the world, which later was confronted about his orientation. After his negative loss on America’s well-known reality show, American Idol, he still didn’t give up his musical dream. To this day, he has inspired other homosexual males, to keep pursuing what they strive for and not to give up on hope. Lambert is my hero because even if people give him negativity, he still stands proud and shows respect to everyone. He has learned to be independent, yet definitely doesn’t shun his supporters in his life. Lambert quotes, “I'm a little bit different, and people enjoyed it, and that feels amazing. It feels really cool to be able to challenge people's concepts of what is an American Idol” (Lambert). This quote expresses that being distinctive, can sometimes be a good thing. Adam Lambert’s creativity in himself, and how amazing he has grown to be, shows that he is a real hero.

Adam Lambert posing
Adam Lambert posing

Adam Lambert is a great perseverance in the face of adversity. Although Lambert has stumbled himself upon certain hardships with the public, he knows to just go with the flow and not be emotionally bothered by those flaws. He quotes, "I DON'T WANT TO ALIENATE PEOPLE. SOMETIMES I THINK, 'SHOULD I TONE IT DOWN?' BUT EVERYTHING IN ME SAYS, NO, GO WITH YOUR INSTINCTS." (Lambert). This can definitely verify that Adam has faced a lot of negativity in his life, simply just because of who he is. Adam has been doing what he should be, which is just to keep doing what he does best. Lambert defends himself very strongly, and stands proud through peoples harsh opinions about his outlooks. "I feel like I hope people could see that, and kind of be inspired by that. It really shouldn’t frickin’ matter what your background is, what your religion is, what your sexuality is, what your color of your skin is." (Lambert). He is amazingly open to himself and others, and supports the idea that everyone is equal. He doesn't judge others from the way they look, dress, etc. No matter what is being shouted in his face, over the news, on T.V., he always keeps his cool.

Adam Lambert
Adam Lambert

Adam also has the ability to empower others, he makes his audience proud. "I stand by my performance. I just get caught up in the moment." (Lambert). Lambert has been, and still is very dedicated to his musical and theatre talents. He gives his all he has, for his fans and of course, his parents. Adam gives one hundred percent into his music, and works hard to make sure everything is just right. "I am so hard on myself. If you were on the outside looking into my head you would probably be shocked. I’m a perfectionist and I get so frustrated with myself when it’s not perfect." (Lambert). There is no such thing as perfection, but Adam strives to make his creativity identical to perfect. He allows himself to be rewarded with what he's done, yet at the same time makes sure he doesn't over-work himself. Adam intends to produce music that is guaranteed, to make him and others amazed.

Adam Lambert singing
Adam Lambert singing

Most importantly, Adam Lambert is over-all caring, and wants to help others seek their futures. "Creating a unisex makeup line. I've had luck in that field." But I have problem skin. I have acne. It's a mess. It's the bane of my existence." (Lambert). He not only wants to use his creative side for his mass music production. He also wants to turn things around by helping both genders, and their skin care problems. He also shows people that it's okay to be yourself, he is aspiring towards many people. "It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it." (Lambert). Adam helps others through the vision, that you are the way you are. He insists that nothing is wrong with that, being ashamed is exactly what he isn't. Adam likes to help his fans through personal features, he doesn't judge by what he sees.

For Your Entertainment
For Your Entertainment

Adam Lambert is a hero through many in the entire world. He inspires people that even if they don't win a gold medal, or a trophy, or on American Idol; they should never give up. Adam pondered in awe, that some things in life are scary to deal with, but with hope, and confidence, anything is achievable. Sure, Adam didn't win what he wanted the most, but he later found something better for him. Things come and go, just like in Adam's life, but he has dealt with those situations. Now he is known for not giving up, or for not soaking in unnecessary comments. He is known for the way he has faced hardships, for being himself, for being open about who is he, and especially for being a hero.

Works Consulted

"Adam Lambert Quotes." Great Personalities. Ed. GreatPersonalities. Web. 20 May 2010.

Kaufman, Scott Barry. "Gender blender: Adam Lambert rocks androgyny." Psychology Today 43.2 (2010): 9+. General Reference Center Gold. Web. 20 May 2010.

Iannacci, Elio. "Shy Adam Lambert comes to town; the 'American Idol' runner-up shares his views on gays on TV and the 'closed-minded'." Maclean's 15 Feb. 2010: 69. General Reference Center Gold. Web. 20 May 2010.

Ward, Kate. "Adam Lambert Gets a Make-under." Entertainment Weekly 29 Jan. 2010: 18. General Reference Center Gold. Web. 20 May 2010.