Annemarie Lucas

by Rianne from Roxboro

Annemarie Lucas (images.broadwayworld.com)

Annemarie Lucas is my hero. She is the ultimate animal lover, born in Connecticut in 1966. She is an animal cruelty and abuse investigator for the New York ASPCA. Annemarie says, "The most gratifying part of my job is rescuing animals from a bad situation and seeing them placed into loving, new foster homes.

Annemarie Lucas is my hero because she has influenced me to be more of an animal lover. She has also influenced me to try and help animals but still being saved while doing so. Annemarie is now living in a house with eight of her rescued cats and seven of her rescued dogs. That goes to show how big of a difference you can make if you give a little effort. I am absolutely in love with dogs and kittens so we have a lot in common. Annemarie and I both share our love for biking, rollerblading, reading and shopping. On the other hand, scuba diving, not so much.

(googleimages.com)
(googleimages.com)

Annemarie's favorite and most rewarding case was when she saved a dog named Cherokee. The dog was brought into the animal hospital with two broken legs, several other fractures and his nose had a dent in it from being tied by a rope. The women who had given the man the dog, was the one who had given the complaint. Cherokee's owner left him in an empty parking lot, simply because he did not want Cherokee anymore. The owner innocently said that he 'raised' the dog the way that he 'raised' his daughter, beating them both. He was so arrogant that he insisted that he did nothing wrong. A year and a half later he was found guilty for animal cruelty , but only received probation. Now Cherokee is a happily spoiled dog with a different foster care owner.

Michael Vick and A pitbull (search.live.com/images)

Things like that story, is what has inspired me to become a vet and hopefully work with the animal rescuers (ASPCA). One day when I retire I want to look back and say "Wow, I wonder how many animals would have not made it, if I wasn't there". Annemarie Lucas today lives in Putnam County in New York. She also takes place on a television show called ANIMAL PRECINCT; and she worked on the 'MICHAEL VICK CASE'.

Michael Vick, one of NFL's best players, was caught on his property fighting pitbull's. He was supposedly attended dog fights and payed off bets. He also was accused of executing pit bulls that did not perform well. If Michael Vick could be facing six years and be fined $350,000. Even if Michael is not convicted he will face fines by the NFL. They removed more than 60 dogs from his property. In June, 2001 he allegedly purchased a property for his main stage for his dog fighting.

Michael Vick  (search.live.com/images)
Michael Vick (search.live.com/images)

In conclusion, I have shown and explained why Annemarie Lucas is the ultimate animal lifesaver and she is my real hero. Maybe someday I will be as great as Annemarie is. One day, I hope that someone will know my name and always remember me.