Andrei Dmitrievich Sakharov

by Daniel Khasanov from San Diego

Andrei Sakharov in his Youth (Sciencephoto.com )

"Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds." –J. Robert. Oppenheimer(from the Bahgavad Gita), first test of the atomic bomb. The nuclear missile bestowed the most danger out of any weapon ever created for warfare, and instigated fear of the end of the world. During the arms race few determined activists protested nuclear warfare, and even fewer could be called true heroes. These individuals brought light to all of Russia, symbols of courage, compassion, and hope, among these champions stood Andrei Sakharov. Born May 21, 1921 in Moscow, Sakharov lived as a highly decorated Soviet nuclear physicist. Although noted for helping the development of the hydrogen bomb, Sakharov will be most remembered as the "hero of socialist labor", Russia's most prominent dissident, and an icon of the fight for intellectual freedom. He died December 14, 1989 in Moscow, but will live on eternally as an inspiration: a hero. Sakharov persevered for his cause like no one before him, he stood up to the USSR government with immense will, and he held a mighty compassion for others. Sakharov strived for justice where there was wrongdoing and took many sacrifices to keep fighting for his cause. Although he excelled as a nuclear physicist, his benevolence and compromises earn him the title, “Hero”.

Sakharov Thinking Deeply (nuclearweaponarchive.org)

The ability to resolve problems around him endured as Sakharov’s most prevalent trait. When Sakharov encountered an issue, he would not condone it like many people, but would rather make every effort in his power to solve it: "In November 1958 Pravda allowed him to publish a lengthy article criticizing a plan to send children talented in mathematics and physics to the countryside for farm work" (Encyclopedia of World Biography). This seemingly small issue allured the attention of Sakharov, which reveals that his ethics and integrity were of the highest caliber. Sakharov's deep compassion resembles the rare traits heroes often have, his ability to see and act on problems that did not affect him directly proved one of his greatest virtues. However, the extent of this virtue did not cede at remote issues; it also encompassed his personal and professional domain. Sakharov discovered flaws in his life and worked to rectify them as well: "In 1958, Sakharov began lobbying Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev for a halt in nuclear testing, which actually ended internationally that year." Sakharov later wrote, "the atomic issue was a natural path into political issues." He then devoted his life to ending nuclear testing and the arms race altogether. ("Andrei Sakharov: paragon of dissent"). Being a renowned Soviet nuclear physicist, Sakharov went against his work, a treasonous act that required extensive courage and superb morals. By manifesting these traits Sakharov became looked upon to scientists all around the world. These few examples merely outline Andrei Sakharov’s ceaseless efforts to do right and help society, but there are countless issues he voiced in and that makes him stand out as a hero.

Andre Sakharov in the Heat of Debate (asbarez.com)

Because Sakharov knew battles were never won easily, he traded in his profession and personal security to keep on fighting. Sakharov understood he would have to give up his privileges and accolades to keep protesting, including any awards and decorations he received: "In 1975, however, he received the Nobel Peace Prize (his Nobel lecture was called "Peace, Progress, Human Rights"), but was not allowed to go abroad to receive the prize" ("Andrei Sakharov: paragon of dissent"). The Nobel Peace Prize exists as one of the highest awards an activist can earn, and not being able to receive it in person demoralizes one’s zeal. Sakharov knew he needed to sacrifice his fame and honors if he were to keep fighting for justice. This event greatly amplified Sakharov's purpose. He would not let any trophies or awards stop him from achieving justice, and people began to pay more attention to his cause. As he continued protesting, Sakharov soon saw he needed to abdicate much more if he were to win his battle: "Sakharov was especially vocal in his opposition to the 1979 Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. In consequence, in January 1980 he was stripped of his titles and honors and exiled to Gorky, a town of one million that was closed to foreigners. He was forbidden contact with foreigners and most other visitors and kept under constant surveillance" (Scientists: Their Lives and Works). One of the most decorated physicists of his time, Sakharov traded his occupation and amenities to continue to fight against moral issues in the soviet system. He allowed the USSR to strip everything he acquired during his entire career so he could speak out one more time. He also forfeited his personal safety and social interaction for what he believed was right. By forcing the government to destroy the social life he had, he added depth to his cause and showed the world that the amending the Russian government was worth any forgo one could make. Sakharov's sacrifices reveal that he is not only a hero for what he contributed to the world, but what he gave up for it as well.

Andrei Sakharov Memorial (flickr.com)
Andrei Sakharov Memorial (flickr.com)

Andrei Sakharov deserves recognition as a hero because of his humaneness towards others and forfeits for his fight. Sakharov tried to solve any wrongs he found, whether it be issues concerning his own life or problems from distant regions. He spoke out for the common folk and tried to get involved with surrounding crises. Sakharov once said, "You can't sit on two chairs at once". He had to choose whether to overlook the moral issues with his research, or abdicate his job, accolades, and security in protest. He had to choose which chair to sit on. Sakharov is a symbol of freedom of thought, reminding scientists that research should never be used for evil. Why Sakharov is an inspiration is clear: his perseverance, sacrifice, and compassion led to him achieving his goal: the eventual reform of Russian government and the end of the arms race. He teaches that even the most inconceivable dreams can be achieved with the right amount of determination. Sakharov used his knowledge of the power of nuclear weaponry to try and stop its application. It is his altruism and tenacity that keeps such dangers away, and the world at peace.

"Andrei Sakharov." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 11 Dec. 2010.

"Andrei Sakharov." Scientists: Their Lives and Works. Gale, 2006. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 12 Dec. 2010.

"Andrei Sakharov: paragon of dissent." Russian Life Nov.-Dec. 2004: 16+. General Reference Center Gold. Web. 12 Dec. 2010.

Nobel Prize - Sakharov's Autobiography (Translated from Russian text)
Sakharov Center - Russian museum showing the life of dissedents (some russian text on webpage)
Rights in Russia - Information website about Sakharov with biography videos, etc.