Asmau Usman

by Faiza from Garki Abuja

Hajia Asmau Usman
Hajia Asmau Usman

My Hero is Hajia Asmau Usman, she was born in 1948. She attended primary school in Kontangora Niger state; North Central Nigeria. She proceeded to Women Teacher Training College Birnin Kebbi where she obtained her Teacher’s Certificate II (TCII). She moved on to Advanced Teacher’s Training College Zaria in Kaduna state where she obtained her National Certificate in Education in Biology and Chemistry. She had her first degree in Ahmadu Bello University Zaria in 1977. She is happily married with children.

Hajia Asmau is an astute administrator who turns around the fortune of any school or office she is posted to, most especially Government Secondary School Garki which was known to be a notorious school before she came in as principal for two years 2000-2002. The history of this school is incomplete without the mention of this Amazon. Hajiya Usman is indeed a rare gem, an achiever and an icon of some sort. She is a team player who loves her staff; such that she attaches great importance to their welfare; this gives job satisfaction to her staff, and no wonder her students always perform excellently both in internal and external examinations. While in Government Secondary School Garki, she set up and equipped "Day Care Centre" for the staff and the public to ease the stress nursing mothers go through and also to promote efficiency. When the school was equipped by Education Trust Fund and School Net Nigeria, she organised computer training programs for all the teachers in the various departments and furnished the computer lab. She is regarded in all quarters as a performer, reformer and a great achiever.

She has served as principal in many schools before she became the Deputy Director of Schools and Higher Education [SHE] of the then Ministry of Federal Capital Territory, Education department. While leaving for the office, she said she does not know how she would cope without seeing her students daily because she is fond of them. She is now the Chairman of Secondary Education Board (SEB) in Federal Capital Territory, Abuja. This is a confirmation of her commitment, zeal, and belief. When she was the Deputy Director of [SHE], she supervised the school curricular, co-curricular activities and the Parent Teachers Association. She also supervised and ensured the welfare of special centre for the deaf, dumb and the disadvantaged ones. She welcomes International organizations like United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), United Nations Economic Scientific Cultural Organization (UNESCO), and Common Wealth to mention but a few to contribute positively to the development of education. She also takes part in organizing festivals and other celebrations like the children’s day. Many awards have been conferred on her.

Why is she my hero? During her years as the Principal of Government Secondary School Garki, she made sure that every student has completed notes in all the subjects offered. This was made possible through teachers regular checking. She made available regular information to parents about the educational status of their children. This has made me to cultivate the habit of writing my notes on time and to take my studies seriously in order to come out with excellent results and be like her one day. She encourages students’ punctuality and the regular attendance of teachers to class.

As the chairman of the Board, she bares her mind on a number of issues, such challenges as: the mass transfer of teachers, the proposed Teachers Salary Structure [TSS], qualitative teaching and discipline in schools.