Anne

by Rea from Ljubljana

My mother, Anne was born to a single mother. There is no specific act I could assign to her that makes her a hero, she is not admired by anyone and lives a completely ordinary life.

Anne's mother, the only person that truly loved her in her youth, was a troublesome woman. She was diagnosed with schizophrenia and was a drug user. Needless to say she wasn't able to offer a stable home. After being admitted to a hospital my mother was sent to her aunt and uncle to the countryside. Her uncle was a drunk and spent all the money her mother left her for alcohol and because of her husband her aunt was disgruntled and abusive and had always resented Anne.

She was sent away at the age of only 16. She was working on different farms where she also lived, what made school an extreme problem for her. She was able to successfully finish high-school but could never afford to go to university in view of the fact that she had to work full time since she was 16.

in the face of all this she never let go of herself, even more she created a family. Before settling down with my father, she was in an abusive and unsafe relationship that was hard to get out off. After she gathered the strength to leave him she had to completely reset her life again.

Now she lives in a small village in the Ljubljana area. She has two children, one of which is me. She also developed a great talent for pastry and cooking and is looking for a job in a kitchen. But what truly makes her so admirable for me is her personality. Her unyielding strength, compassion, kindness and much more. She is exceedingly smart and wise, patient and tolerant and mostly modest. I think that the greatest people often go unnoticed and she is no exception. She is a big part of who I am and I am proud to call her my mother.