Betsie ten Boom

by Renee from Kerrville

Betsie ten Boom (wheaton.edu/bgc/archives)

My hero was intimidated, humiliated, captured and killed by the government bullies of her time. The Dutch ten Boom family hid Jews from the German Nazis. Betsie and Corrie ten Boom were taken away to the vicious death camps. Being caught in the hate crime, I am especially impressed with Betsie’s continual response.

The girls were taken to one death camp after another. Even though Betsie was in those camps, she kept her faith in God. Corrie was angry at the Nazis, but Betsie prayed for them. When Corrie asked her why, Betsie replied, “I pity them, Corrie, they have touched the apple of God’s eye.”

One time guards whipped Betsie, but she only prayed for them to come to know God. If I was harmed like that, I don’t know if I would pray for them like Betsie did. I would probably be angry at them like Corrie. I think Corrie is a lot like us. Then, when Betsie was sick the guard did what no other guard would do, she came and helped Betsie get to a sick room which was cleaner and not infested with fleas. The guard was still opposed to Jews, though.

Betsie and Corrie helped many people in the death camps get to know God. In the mornings and between work the two women prayed out loud and pretty soon a whole group was formed.

I think Betsie is a good example for us all. When somebody’s being mean to you, pray good things to happen to them. In the Bible it says to “bless those who curse you and pray for those who mistreat you.” Betsie followed that rule. Whoever takes this challenge in their schools and communities, will enjoy prayers’ power of peace. Betsie has inspired me to be closer to God. Instead of getting angry at people, I pray for them. A lot of us complain maybe because we have to do chores or school work. However, I think of Betsie and her sister and I know chores and school work are nothing compared to death camps.

I got this information from the book "The Hiding Place," written by Corrie Ten Boom.