Bill Clinton

by Kian from San Diego

Google Images (White House Photography)
Google Images (White House Photography)

"When you stifle human potential, when you don't invest in new ideas, it doesn't just cut off the people who are affected. It hurts us all." This quote is from none other than Bill Clinton, a powerful message that manages to represent the man who said it. It means that all should be aided so they can be equal, leading to potential of their full capacity. Having been the 42nd President of the United States for two terms from 1992 to 2000, Bill Clinton currently focuses on his humanitarian work, which made a huge difference in the world for the past few years. Clinton has traveled the world aiding thousands of people in his work, from post Hurricane Katrina New Orleans in 2005 to South Asia in 2004 after a traumatic tsunami. Heroes possess certain characteristics that define them as a hero. A hero should be caring and watchful looking out for others, helpful as they provide aid and support for others and should be able to inspire people to follow in their footsteps by holding powerful skills as a leader. While he had a long and rather successful career as a politician, Bill Clinton truly proves himself as a hero due to his caring nature as a humanitarian, his helpfulness towards others and his powerful leadership skills, which have all managed to save and improve the lives of countless people while also inspiring others to follow in his footsteps.

Clinton speaking at Internationional Crisis Group (Google Images (In2EastAfricaReporter))

Though having served as the 42nd President of the United States, Bill Clinton was devoted to his caring philanthropic work, which helped improve the lives of many people. As a determined hero, Bill Clinton cared for people that were affected by tragedies all around the world. "Clinton traveled to China to speak about AIDS in 2003, helped tsunami victims in South Asia in 2004, and spent months fundraising in the wake of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005" ("William Jefferson Clinton.") Clinton proves himself as a determined hero, who spends his time caring for those who have been affected by disease and natural disasters. Clinton managed to travel around the world, to visit and provide care for these people, with hopes of fundraising so these people can recover from disasters and disease. Along with the work he does himself, Clinton has managed to start his own organization to provide care for unfortunate people around the globe. "The William J. Clinton foundation, the charitable organization he founded in 2001, has 1,400 paid employees and volunteers working in 40 countries" ("Topic: Bill Clinton, The New York Times.") Clinton shows his characteristic as a caring hero by starting his very own organization to help those in need. He managed to use his resources to employ others to work to aid those in suffering. Bill Clinton manages to devote himself to his work as a caring philanthropist, using his resources to improve the lives of those in need.

Clinton's charity work in Africa (William J. Clinton Foundation (Clinton Presidential Center))

Bill Clinton was also very helpful and supported people when they needed and helped others such as presidents reach certain goals. Clinton was able to help his succeeding presidents in disaster relief efforts around the globe. "President Barack Obama involved Clinton in disaster relief. Clinton joined with former President George W. Bush to lead a fund-raising effort to aid earthquake victims" ("William Jefferson Clinton.") Clinton demonstrates his helpful nature by aiding both Obama and Bush to fundraise for those affected by this earthquake. He went out of his own way to provide help for other presidents when they were faced with problems such as natural disasters. Along with helping fellow presidents deal with issues, Bill Clinton also managed to even help those affected by tragedies themselves such as in the event of the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing on which Clinton commented. "We pledge to do all we can to help you heal the injured, to rebuild this city, and to bring to justice those who did this evil" ("Remarks on the Oklahoma City Bombing.") Clinton was helpful by making a speech to the people of Oklahoma City and urging them to recover from the recent tragedy and move forward. He helped the people of Oklahoma City by assuring them that he would aid in the recovery of the people and seek justice for those responsible for the bombing. Bill Clinton demonstrated his nature of being helpful by aiding various people to reach certain goals such as fundraising for a natural disaster or recovering from a recent tragedy.

C-Span Archives (C-Span)
C-Span Archives (C-Span)

Bill Clinton proved his powerful leadership skills as he became involved in protests that proved his political abilities and his speech that managed to represent all of America in the wake of a tragedy. Bill Clinton proved his skills as a leader early on when he was young starting out in his university years. "Clinton attended the nation's best universities, became involved in the social protests of the 1960s, and possessed both striking ambition and remarkable political skills" (William Jefferson Clinton.") Clinton's future as a great leader was shown as he played an active in various social protests. He also portrayed his powerful leadership that led him on the road to become a successful president. Bill Clinton also demonstrated that he was a true leader when he gave a speech in 1995 Oklahoma City after a recent bombing. "I am honored to be here today to represent the American people. But I have to tell you that Hillary and I also come as parents, as husband and wife, as people who were your neighbors for some of the best years of our lives. Today our nation joins with you in grief" ("Remarks on the Oklahoma City Bombing.") Clinton managed to tell the people of Oklahoma City as a leader that he was representing all of the United States in the wake of this tragedy. Clinton proved that the American people would stand by the side of Oklahoma City citizens to mourn with them and help recover from the attacks. Overall, Bill Clinton manages to prove himself as a brilliant and powerful leader who displayed ambition and intelligence as a young man leading various protests up to leading the entire United States of America.

Through his eight years as a president, Bill Clinton was very successful and well-liked by his peers and the people, however, it is Clinton's caring actions, his willingness to help others and strong leadership that has managed to aid many people and improve thousands of lives, giving hope and inspiration to thousands of other lives as well. Bill Clinton is a truly great man and proves himself as a defiant hero to thousands of people in the United States and around the world. He has managed to fundraise and start his own organizations to care for others. He has helped other presidents fundraise and helped those affected by tragedy along with using his leadership skills to move forward with new ideas and provide hope for people. Bill Clinton inspires me because these three particular traits throughout his life have improved his life as well as others. His leadership skills, caring and helpfulness aided from becoming a social activist in the 1960's to one of America's great presidents. He has also inspired others to take action and do something to aid those in need with his foundation having over 1,400 employees and volunteers. Throughout his entire life, Bill Clinton has possessed certain traits that would lead to a promising future. It obviously did as he became one of the most popular presidents in American history and now is a hero to countless people around the globe. Bill Clinton is a caring, helpful leader and a great hero who has saved and improved the lives of those affected by tragedy. His powerful abilities have inspired lots of people reach their highest potential by following in his footsteps and to aid others as well and that has made a difference, spreading Clinton's legacy. Throughout history we have had many great leaders but we've never had and probably never will have one like Bill Clinton, a man with strong character which makes him a hero to many and will make him a hero for many years to come.

"William Jefferson Clinton." Presidential Administration Profiles for Students. Ed. Kelle S. Sisung and Gerda-Ann Rafaelle. Detroit: Gale Group, 2011.
Gale Student Resources in Context. Web. 8 Dec. 2012.

"Topic: Bill Clinton, The New York Times." http://topics.nytimes.com/reference/timestopic/people/c/bill_clinton/indenx.html?scp
November 11, 2008; May 4, 2009; February 1, 2010.

"Remarks on the Oklahoma City Bombing, April 23, 1995." DISCovering U.S. History. Detroit: Gale, 2003.
Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 12 Dec. 2012.

Look to the Stars - Site detailing Bill Clinton's various charity work
Clinton Foundation - Official site for Bill Clinton's global humanitarian organization
Bill Clinton Infoplease - Website with various info detailing Bill Clinton's work throughout his life
Bill Clinton: American Experience - PBS article on the work of Bill Clinton
TED: Bill Clinton - Profile on Bill Clinton's work as an activist