Bill Gates

by Michael from San Diego

The Man Behind Microsoft

Bill Gates, the mastermind behind Microsoft, is known by the world as designing one of the world's most successful products, but he is also trying to get known by being a man of the people. There are many things that describe this one man called Bill Gates, but I think the world’s hero or leader describe him the best. Bill Gates has done many things in his life like create new products, take a risk and drop out of his educational career, and donate money to a good cause. He spent his life growing up in Seattle, Washington, and began his career at a young age. During his prime of his company, Bill Gates had various different accomplishments through his technology, but it didn’t only end there. Bill Gates had many incredible actions away from his success. Bill Gates had many obstacles that bumped him along the way from his dream, but that didn’t stop him from being the very successful, courageous, and giving man that he is today.

Bill Gates is a man known for his fame and fortune, but who knew that a man of his stature could contain so much character and courage. Bill Gates sacrificed much of his educational career so that he can pursue his dream of designing technology. “Ending his academic career life, Gates dropped out of Harvard 1975 and began his career in earnest as a software designer and entrepreneur.” Gates could have played it safe and finished his education, but he decided to take a risk which helped shaped our world today. Gates has been really successful because he loves what he does which helps fuel him to do his best. Bill Gates has done many things that shaped our community today. “His supreme accomplishment was designing and developing innovative software for the personal computer that helped make PCs the universally popular machines they are today. Gates used his knowledge of computers to design Microsoft which is one of the most popular companies in the world. Microsoft made most of the computer or gaming products we use today. Bill Gates is filled with many heroic characteristics and he spreads it around through his iconic actions.

Gates has done many famous actions like create Microsoft, but it’s the actions he does for others away from his fame that really makes an impact. Bill Gates cares a lot about others and their health just as much as himself. “In 1999 Gates and his wife, Melinda, also launched the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, endowed with more than $17 million, to support philanthropic initiatives in global health, especially in the third world.” Gates contributed a large amount of money to make sure that many people who can’t afford health care get the privilege to. He and his wife Melinda are strong supporters of global health and want to make sure that people have the chance to get the medicine and treatment they need. Bill Gates also donates money for kids to have a better education. “Paying for vaccinations for children in Zimbabwe or scholarships for students in East St. Louis brought him the kind, benign, even generous recognition.” This shows that Bill Gates cares for others beyond himself by giving money to the less fortunate for the kids in Zimbabwe. Gates wants kids to have a better education so he provides them with computers and scholarships to help them achieve it. Bill Gates gives to more people besides himself by donating money to several causes to give the less fortunate or the less privileged a chance to achieve their goals.

As Bill Gates once said: “Until we're educating every kid in a fantastic way, until every inner city is cleaned up, there is no shortage of things to do” (“Bill Gates”). This simple but yet powerful quote shows how a man of Bill Gates’ caliber can care so much about the actions towards others happening around him. He has changed our economy in so many ways like designing new technology and donating money for great causes. Bill Gates is very inspiring to me and others because he demonstrates the qualities of a natural born leader and a hero. People around the world are inspired by him because he gave up most of his life to pursue his dreams, which made him the successful man he is today. If a man like Bill Gates didn’t take a true risk like he did, we would have a very different economy, then it just wouldn’t be the same. There are many people that can qualify as a hero based on their characteristics and various qualities, and Bill Gates is one of them. It is not what Bill Gates has done to our economy with his technology, it is the acts of kindness he has done that really made a difference to our country and around the world.

Works Consulted

"Gates, Bill 1955-." American Decades. Ed. Judith S. Baughman, et al. Vol. 10: 1990-1999. Detroit: Gale, 2001. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 16 Dec. 2010.

"Gates, Bill." UXL Encyclopedia of World Biography. Ed. Laura B. Tyle. Vol. 4. Detroit: UXL, 2003. 769-772. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 16 Dec. 2010.

"Gates, Bill (1955-)." DISCovering Biography. Online ed. Detroit: Gale, 2003. Student Resource Center - Junior. Gale. DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL. 16 Dec. 2010.

"Bill Gates." Newsmakers. Detroit: Gale, 1993. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 16 Dec. 2010.