Bethany Hamilton

by Emma from Wayne

Go! Bethany hit that wave her dad would yell from the shore. She's a surfer and her goal is to hit every wave in her path. It was always her wish and dream to become a famous surfer as a child. She was born February 8th 1990 on an island called Lihue in Hawaii. Her left arm was bit off by a fourteen foot tiger shark 4 inches below her left shoulder in 2003. She didn't expect that to happen and of course she was devastated. Would she ever be able surf again? Nobody believed she would ever be able to get back on the board. In 2003 she realized that with determination and perseverance anything is possible. Since her accident she has been on numerous talk shows such as Oprah and the Ellen DeGeneres show. She won 25,000 dollars on are you smarter than a fifth grader. Recently a movie came out about. It's called Soul Surfer. So if you'd like to learn more about her life go check it out.