Bob Marley

by Alexis from San Diego

He smiles with happiness
He smiles with happiness

When people think of Bob Marley, they see a famous musician. Bob was more than just a famous musician; he was a hero to those around him. What many people don’t know about Bob Marley is that he had a vision, a vision he wanted everyone to hear, his vision was “one love” (peace, unity, and love). As a singer, musician, and song writer, Marley used his message of “one love” through action, speech, and song. Bob Marley is a hero to people in this world; he has influenced and changed people’s lives.

Bob Marley is a man that tried to distribute peace throughout the world by using his music and words. Marley was born on February 6, 1945 in Jamaica. Growing up Marley lived in poverty with his mom. He grew with a love for music and listened to: “Ray Charles, Elvis Presley, Fats Domino, and the Drifters” (Berquist, Emily). His music became a success, giving him a voice among society. Marley’s religion is Rastafarian, adherents of a religion that arose in Jamaica that regards Ras Tafari (the former emperor of Ethiopia) as divine. With his religion and music he became popular with his followers. Bob became an influence to people.

Bob Marley singing
Bob Marley singing

Bob helped and worked with his community: “he took on a series of community projects, at one time supporting more than 6,000 people with food, jobs, and housing” (Berquist, Emily). Bob Marley practices what he preaches by showing the people he cares for their well being. He gives back to the community, knowing it’s the right thing to do. He kept helping the community after his assassination scare: “he invested in schools and infrastructure in Jamaica” (Andrea Henderson). Marley being wounded kept helping the community to show that he believes there can still be peace in this world. By giving back he gives himself the satisfaction of knowing he helped others. Bob Marley is an outstanding role model to those that were around him.

The sport that caused his injury.
The sport that caused his injury.

Marley influenced the world with his religion and his view on life: “rejecting the standards of the white world that led many blacks to straighten their hair, Rasta’s let theirs mat up in long ropy “dread locks”” (http://www.biography.com/articles/Bob-Marley-9399524). The people looked up to Marley so they changed their hair and ways to be like him. People started standing up and believing in his view of life. The people did certain things to follow Bob's religion: “they follow strict dietary rules and abhor alcohol and most drugs, but revere “ganja” (marijuana) as a holy herb that rings enlightenment to users” (Andrea Henderson). People took steps to become Rastafarian so they too could lead the lives that Bob led. Marley helped people to make their own decisions and to speak with their own voice.

Bob Marley gave people a role model, someone to look up to. When he died he still lived on in the hearts of the people. Marley used his music to show people what he thought and his views on life. He gave back to the people and led a life with his beliefs. Bob gave people a reason to think about life and the lives they're leading. Bob may have died at an early age but he accomplished so much in his life that he is remembered. That is the reason Bob Marley is a hero.