Bob Marley

by Coleman from San Diego

Have you ever loved the idea of something even more than you love yourself?  Well that is exactly how Bob Marley lived his entire life; he lived to bring peace and inspiration throughout the world.  Bob fights against racism and hate, using his music too inspire and bring strength too those in need.

(http://www.bobmarley-quotes.com/bob-marley-quotes-about-love)

Bob Marley, coming from an early life of poverty, was born Robert Nesta Marley on February 6, 1945.  After his father, a 50 year old quartermaster of the British West Indian Regiment (bobmarley.com), died in 1955 Robert spent much of his childhood tossed between his mother, grandmother, and aunt.  He spent most of his time in Trench Town, a government housing yard, socializing with his peers.  Bob grew up defending himself from Trench Towns "bad boys"; this is where he developed his superior street fighting skills and fearless attitude. 

During the year of 1959 is when Bob started his singing lessons and his mission to perfect the guitar.  Robert formed a group called The Teenagers, at age 16 he recorded his first song "Judge Not".

Bob Marley uses his music to make us aware of all the hate in this world, and how through love we may be able to conquer that hate.  "The Bob Marley influence upon various populations' remains unparalleled" (bobmarley.com) throughout the world Bob Marley's music has become a big part of everyday life for many people. The calming beat and the soothing lyrics of his music make living bearable for many third world countries.  "One good thing about music is when it hits you feel no pain" (bobmarley.com) a very famous quote by Bob Marley himself.  This quote shows the power of music and how if it is used correctly it can help many people.  He uses his powerful influence to inspire people and give them the strength to forget their problems and just dance.

(http://www.abcpedia.us/people-celebrities/biography/bob-marley.html ())

Bobs music was such an inspiration to the former British colony of Rhodesia that they were liberated and renamed Zimbabwe, Marley named one of his songs after their newly free country (bobmarley.com).  The freedom fighters said "inspiration and strength were drawn from his empowering lyrics" (bobmarley.com) he inspired an entire country to revolt and gain their freedom just through his music.  The power Bob was given from his music is beyond anything you could imagine.  The fact that he used this power to really make an impact on the world is astonishing and really opens your eyes on how there is good people out there.  What Zimbabwe's freedom fighters said about how they were given strength through his music is a true and very real example of the impact he has on us.

Robert's music gave Zamora (one of the 33 Chilean miners rescued) the strength to live (bobmarley.com).  After being rescued nearly 70 days after he was trapped, Zamora was so happy to be alive that all he wanted to do was listen to the music that gave him the strength to live.  He asked to hear Bob Marley's "Buffalo Soldier" (bobmarley.com) almost immediately after being pulled out of the mine.  When you listen to his music you truly feel as if you have the strength to withstand anything.

Through his music he pushed for change in this world, race, color, and creed are three big things he would sing about, given they are huge issues in our lives.  From the inspiration to gain your freedom to the strength to survive, his music has changed many of us and given us the power to do what is right.

Works Consulted

Berquist, Emily. "Marley, Bob (1945-1981)." Encyclopedia of Latin American History and

Culture. Ed. Jay Kinsbruner and Erick D. Langer. 2nd ed. Vol. 4. Detroit: Charles

Scribner's Sons, 2008. 379-380. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 22 May 2012

BobMarley.com | The Official Site of Bob Marley." Bobmarley.com. Pair Networks. Web. 09

May 2012. .

"Bob Marley." St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture. Ed. Sara Pendergast and Tom

Pendergast. Detroit: St. James Press, 2000. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 22 May  2012 .  

Bob Marley." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Vol. 24. Detroit: Gale, 2005. Gale Student

Resources In Context. Web. 22 May 2012.

"JAMMIN REGGAE ARCHIVES Web Site." JAMMIN REGGAE ARCHIVES Web Site. Web.

22 May 2012.