Barack Obama

by Jared from Ansonia

Barack Obama (www.barackobama.net)
Barack Obama (www.barackobama.net)

If you asked me a few years ago who my hero was it would probably be a famous or rich athlete. Today, I think differently. My hero is now our President. Barack Obama is my hero because of what he went through, his personality, and his accomplishments. Barack is also my hero because he is determined and brave at everything he does. He never gives up and that is probably the reason that he is the President of the United States.

Barack Obama’s life experiences were both challenging and successful. On August 4, 1961 Barack was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. His first challenge came very early. At the age of two, his parents separated. Then in 1967 Barack moved to Indonesia and four years later he moved back to Hawaii. He graduated from a coed college called Punahou School. From 1979 to 1981 Barack attended an Occidental College in South California. Then in 1983 he graduated from Columbia University with a bachelor’s degree in Political Science. In 1984 he worked for an international corporation. In 1988 he enrolled in law school. Two years later he became the first black President of Harvard law school. In the summer of the next year, he moved to Chicago as a civil rights lawyer. On October 18, 1992 he married Michelle LaVaughn Robinson. Four years later, he was elected Illinois State Senate. In 2004 he was elected United States Senate. Later, in 2005 he was named, “world’s most influential people” by Times Magazine. On February 10, 2007 he gave his Presidential Candidacy speech. March 18, 2008 he delivered a historic speech on race. November 2, 2008 Obama’s grandmother Madelyn Dunham died just two days before the Presidential election. On June 4, 2008 Barack Obama won the Presidency and became our forty-fourth President.

For me, two of Barack’s personality traits would be kind and very determined. Mr. Obama is kind by giving lots of help to kids and adults who are less fortunate than us. For example, in Haiti there was a 7.0 earthquake. He has helped that community by sending people and troops there to give them things like shelter, food, and water. Barack is also kind because before his presidency he was a community organizer with a church based group who tried to improve poor living conditions in crime based areas that had major job unemployment. Even though Barack is a very kind man, he is always determined to get any job done. He had to be determined to go to Harvard and be accepted into their law school. He would also have to be determined to run in the Presidential election being the country’s first African American President. He was also the first African American President of the Harvard Law Review. One last reason why Barack proved himself to be determined was to change the way things were when he was a boy. Instead of people being homeless he wanted them to have jobs or shelter. Personality traits like these help people to become heroes.

Being able to accomplish more than the average person is also a reason why Barack Obama is my hero. During the first two years of America noticing him, Obama has collected a lifetime’s worth of accomplishments. Just months after winning the U.S senate and before he became the 3rd African American to serve in that seat, he delivered his keynote address at the 2004 National Convention. He won a Grammy for the audio version of his memoir, which spent a year on the New York Times best sellers list. He was also on the cover of Men’s Vogue. Obama is the 98th senator out of the 100. He also graduated from many colleges and got a bachelors degree in Political Science. On top of all that he is the President of the United States.

In conclusion, after researching and learning more about Barack’s life story, his personalities, and his accomplishments has made me see him as an even better hero. Barack had a lot of things against him but didn’t let them stop him from reaching his goals.

Yes, we can heal this nation. Yes, we can seize our future. And as we leave this great state with a new wind at our backs and we take this journey across this great country, a country we love, with the message we carry from the plains of Iowa to the hills of New Hampshire, from the Nevada desert to the South Carolina coast, the same message we had when we were up and when we were down, that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we will hope.