Barack Obama

by Tamara from Belleville

"Yes We Can"
Barack Obama standing in front of the White House

A 47 year old African American man has changed America for ever. Born August 4th, 1961 in Honolulu, Hawaii to a Kenyan father and an American mother, he made history when he was elected as the 44th President of the United States of America, as he is the first African American to hold this post. Yes that’s right - it's Barack Hussein Obama the President of the United States.

Barack Obama was born to his mother Ann Dunham and his father Barack Obama Sr. During Barack’s childhood he lived in Honolulu, Hawaii. His parents met while they were attending college at he University of Hawaii. Soon after Barack’s parents married, baby Barack was born. When Barack was two his parents separated and divorced in 1964. Barack has two half sisters and five half brothers. Barack met his father once in 1971 when he visited Hawaii, before his father became a finance minister and shortly after Barack’s father died in a road accident in the year 1982. Barack Obama’s mother married a Indonesian student Lolo Soetoro while they were in Manoa. In 1967 Barack, his mother, and his step father moved to Jakarta Indonesia. Barack went to school in Indonesia until he was in the fourth grade. At this point he moved in with his grandparents. Barack lived with his grandparents until he graduated high school.

Barack was a very small child that found it difficult to accept such differences between his mother and his step father's skin colors. In Barack’s teen years this problem caused him to use cocaine, marijuana, and alcohol to deal with his internal conflicts. Now today Barack thinks of it as a big mistake. After high school Barack moved to Los Angeles to study at the Occidental college for two years then he went to school Columbia college in New York. He majored in Political Science with a specialization in international relations in 1983. Barack worked in small organizations which taught him organizational skills. He could have easily taken up a good job after Harvard but for his values and his mother taught him to do something for society and the less privileged. He garnered publicity at Harvard because he was elected as the first African American president of Harvard law review.

In the meanwhile he was dating Michelle Robinson and a few years later they were engaged and married in 1992. Barack traveled with his wife and wrote a book called Dreams From My Father. A few months later Barack’s mother died of cancer. Meanwhile Barack Obama taught constitutional law at the university of Chicago law school from 1992-2004. In 2004 Barack came into the national limelight with a speech speaking against the Bush administration policies on Iraq war. Later Barack was inspired to declare his candidacy for the 2008 Democratic Presidential nomination in February 2007. On June 3rd Obama became the presumptive nominee. August 2008 Barack Obama accepted the nomination and was in the race against the Republic nominee John McCain. November 4, 2008 Barack Obama won the presidential election by a big margin.

Barack Obama relates to Harper Lee’s book because Obama really and truly is a Mockingbird. I believe he is a Mockingbird because he decided to make a change and do something different for once like Jim did when he was showing maturity. Another way Jim’s maturity relates to Obama is that Obama did drugs and did the mature thing and quit and made something of his life.

As you have read Barack Obama has changed America forever. If you wanna know more about Barack Obama you could go to www.barackobama.com like I did.

Barack Obama - This link lets you know the updates about Barack Obama and his past.