Bob Pierce

by Paige from San Diego

World Vision Logo
World Vision Logo

Marilee Pierce Dunker once wrote "My father went to China a man in search of adventure and came back a man with a mission.” Bob Pierce, Marilee’s father was greatly moved by the tragic situations that he had witnessed in China, he promised to help the communities there as much as he could. After these events, Pierce founded World Vision, a company that would save many children’s lives, by giving basic needs to survive in conditions that weren’t suitable. He committed his life to forming disaster relief programs; AIDS and HIV kits, and helping children get a proper education. Bob helped develop World Vision into an international relief organization and influenced thousands of churches, and millions of sponsors to help in the fight against starvation and poverty. Bob Pierce’s numerous selfless acts toward underprivileged families displays his passion towards helping others, his ability to break barriers of helping foreign countries, and his inspiration to others shows he is a true hero.

Bob Pierce dedicated his life to performing selfless acts some which are; helping those who suffered from diseases, starvation, and malnutrition. Pierce’s selfless acts started when he saw a helpless girl on the dirt road, “a battered and hungry young girl named White Jade. Her father had beaten her and kicked her out of the house because she visited the local mission school” Urban Ministry reported “Dr. Pierce gave the school his last five dollars and promised to send more each month to help support the young girl.” Bob was so troubled with the conditions of White Jade that he gave the last of his money to do anything to get her off the streets and into a home. His selflessness to this girl and to many others shows that he greatly impacted the families and communities that he visited. After the incident Pierce devoted his time to performing many selfless acts all around the world. “He would often leave up to ten months at a time while he traveled around the world” (Urban Ministry). Bobs determination to make his dream come true showed that he would make many sacrifices to carry out noble actions. Pierce chose to leave his family and help inspire others to lend a hand in the fight of poverty; he chose to travel to many countries setting up programs to assist many children. Bob’s selflessness aided World Vision into the company in which it is today.

helping out the deprived (World Vision)
helping out the deprived (World Vision)

It was Bob Pierce's selflessness that helped break multiple barriers in today’s society. Pierce's dream to make an organization that would be large enough to help many countries would come true with the help of numerous volunteers that traveled around the world setting up specialized programs for each community. “In 2003, World Vision offered material, emotional, and spiritual support to 100 million people in 99 countries” (Economic Expert). Bob wanted his corporation to be as large as it could, in order to be able to assist as many people as possible. “He created the largest relief program” (Economic Expert). He wanted as many people he could find to join in and help make many people’s lives better. Not only did it serve ninety nine counties but it gives a great deal of money around the world. “World Vision provided millions of dollars worth of food and medical assistance, saving thousands of lives from the slow agonizing death of starvation” (World Vision). Pierce industrialized an industry that donates money to people that really need it. His dream of breaking the cycle of poverty comes true more and more each year as his company grows. As you can see Pierce developed an overachieving company that will last for many years.

Dr. Pierce’s passion for giving has led to many humanitarian advances which shows that he is an inspiration to many. His countless self-sacrificing acts show that many people can encourage others to do the same. “Dr. Pierce initiated a widespread appeal, asking churches to help the orphans in Korea” (World Vision). Bob teaches us that that we can persuade others to do great things to our society: to stand in front of so many and beg for support for the unfortunate, shows that he has immeasurable courage. His dedication to world vision and to making his dream come true shows that any one can look up to him as a hero. As world vision grew, “He also traveled throughout Korea filming the devastation he saw around him, then put together film documentaries that spurred Americans back home to give”(Christianity today). Pierce wanted to show that these children and families were suffering in a way that would hit close to home. He showed that these children needed a home and basic supplies that we could provide them. No matter what Bob did his personality showed that he is a true hero.

helpless children
helpless children

Through Bob Pierces’ determination many churches and families world wide take part in World Vision, including my family which is touched by the story that the company told. We now care for a fourteen year old girl, named Popy from Bangladesh whose family cannot support their three children. We have become a regular contributor for two years, and are able to communicate through letters. Bob has touched many sponsors’ lives, including mine, by sharing many heartbreaking stories and being able to make a difference in someone’s life. He committed his life to doing what he treasured most, helping change the lives of many children around the globe. He developed an organization built on selfless acts towards others. Pierce managed to go beyond what anyone else thought he could do, which is why he is a genuine hero. He shows that when you set your mind to it you can do anything, his compassionate and kind personality shows that he is an inspiration to people of all ages. Bob make a huge difference in many peoples lives because he had a dream to “end the cycle of poverty”.

“Bob Pierce.”Uraban Ministry. City Vision College, 2008.Web.11 May 2010. .

Stafford, Tom.” Imperfect Instrument.” Christianity Today(2005):1-3.Web.11 May 2010. .

"Samaritan's Purse." Samaritan's Purse. 2010 Samaritan's Purse, 2010. Web. 11 May 2010. .

Steven, Gertz."Tsunami Catastrophe.”Christianity Today. (2008): 1-3. Web.21May 2010. .

“Who we are-World Vision.” World Vision. World Vision, 2008.Web.12 May 2010. .

“World Vision’s history.” World Vision, n.d. web. 12 May 2010. .

World Vision - Pierces organization information
Samaritan's Purse - pierces second organization
Bob Pierce's Biography, - information on Bobs life
World Vision international - shows organizations around the world working for World Vision