Betsy Ross

by Emily from Atglen

Betsy Ross sewing the American Flag.
Betsy Ross sewing the American Flag.

In Betsy Ross’s time she was very important…  She sewed the very first American Flag! She was born January 1, 1752 in Philadelphia USA. She died peacefully in her sleep on January 30, 1836. She died at the age of 84.

Betsy sewed the first American Flag. She finished the flag on June 14, 1777. She became very famous after she finished the flag. Being able to do things when she became blind. She started to become blind in 1833 so her only daughter left living took her in and watched over her for her last years. She was brave for having 7 children who all died small but 2 and having to take care of herself and kids with no husband.

She was very brave because she was taking care of 7 children, helping an injured husband while being pregnant. She was helpful because when George Washington, Robert Morris, George Ross picked her to sew the first flag and she said yes right away. She’s also very caring because she took care of her niece since her sister passed away while watching her own 7 children.

She had three husbands. One of them died in a British prison. She was a seamstress. Her real name is Elizabeth Griscom. She had 7 children. She became blind in 1833. Her sister and parents all died from yellow fever.

Now, from reading this you should see why Betsy Ross is my hero.