Health

Clara Barton

by Leah from San Diego

Clara Barton self portrait. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara_Barton ())

"She was perhaps the most perfect incarnation of mercy the modern world has known" ("The Detroit Free Press"). This quote, taken from The Detroit Free Press, describes Clara Barton perfectly. Clara Barton, a war heroine, has saved many lives on the battlefield. In 1881, Barton founded The American Red Cross in order to save more lives and help the injured. A hero must possess determination and diligence.  As Clara Barton risked her life to save others on the battlefield, her hard work and determination allowed her to persevere. "In 1864 she made her most influential connection, joining Gen. Benjamin F. Butler with the Army of the James." ("Clara Barton"). Clara Barton joined the Army of the James, which was a huge deal for women since women did not participate in wars back then. Barton's determination only got her so far.he worked extremely hard to get her job in the Patent Office in Washington. Clara Barton's hard work pushed her beyond her limits to break the gender barrier and hold a job in Patent Office in Washington D.C. Clara Barton, who started The American Red Cross organization, was determined and hardworking, and was the first woman to achieve such great things.

Clara Barton has saved many lives. (http://www.usapatriotism.org/gap/barton_c.htm ())

Clara Barton is truly a hero because she worked very hard to make her dreams a reality. Barton helped the Russians by supplying them with food to help with the famine and later assisted the army from South Carolina with nursing and food.  "In 1892, she organized assistance for Russians suffering from famine by shipping them 500 railroad cars of Iowa cornmeal and flour. After a hurricane and tidal wave left over 5,000 dead on the Sea Islands of South Carolina in 1893, Barton's Red Cross labored for 10 months helping the predominantly African-American population recover and reestablish their agricultural economy."("Founder Clara Barton"). She supplied the Russians 500 railroad cars full of flour and cornmeal. By bringing food she helped end the famine in 1892. She also aided the South Carolinians and the African-Americans. When a hurricane and a tidal wave killed off 5,000 people in South Carolina, she nursed health back into the African-Americans and assisted them with their agriculture by recovering crops. Barton stayed back and helped the African-Americans renew their fields by being a hard worker. As she grew older, Barton got sick with pneumonia, but still being the hard worker she is, she helped every sick man.  "In the spring of 1912 she came down with double pneumonia. The doctors were not hopeful that she would ever recover. On April 10, as she lay in bed ... I crept around more, trying to give them at least a drink of water to cool their parched lips, and I heard them at last speak of mothers and wives and sweethearts, but never a murmur or complaint.'"(Krensky 115). Clara Barton, still sick with double pneumonia, helped each dying man as much as she could even if it was only a sip of water or a hand to squeeze. She worked hard trying to keep them alive. Barton worked very hard, only to die two days later on April 12, 1912. Her hard work was noticed and she was given the name "Daughter of the Regiment". Barton was recognized with a name that showed her hard work and dedication."But Clara Barton was an exception. Her time on the battlefield had made her famous. She did not shun the attention, which included a declaration from the 21st Massachusetts Regiment, which gave her the title, 'Daughter of the Regiment'" (Krensky). As Barton spent much time on the battlefield, she was then recognized with her new given title, "Daughter of the Regiment". Her hard work and dedication had her earn a name of respect. She modestly took the name and accepted it. Clara Barton spent much of her time on the battlefield by working incredibly hard. She helped those who were in need, nursed soldiers up until her last dying breath, and was recognized for her hard work and achievements.

Clara Barton created the American Red Cross. (http://www.keywordsuggests.com/3W7*R%7CryB*WUhUFpg ())

Clara Barton is a hero because her determined spirit got her to pursue high achievements. Her determination led her to becoming the first woman ever to work as a copyist in the government.  "In 1853 she obtained an appointment as copyist in the Patent Office in Washington, D.C., becoming the first woman in America to hold such a government post. She continued this work till April 1861, when the Civil War began and she determined to serve the Federal troops" ("Clara Barton"). Barton was the first lady to get an appointment in the Patent Office in Washington, D.C.. This was very impressive because not many women were as determined as Barton and were able to work their way up to Washington D.C.. Barton even with doubtful health still seemed that longingness to help others and became interested in nursing. "Unfortunately, Barton's feeble health again interrupted her activities, and she had to withdraw from her work and take a rest. In 1869, she ended up seeking a cure in Switzerland, where she began to familiarize herself with the work of the International Red Cross"("Clarissa"). Even as Barton only had a few years left due to her health she still continued with her generous heart and determined soul. She still was helping others even after her health had failed her as well. She shows determination by still being caring and generous even at hard times. Clara Barton also was very determined when she started the American Red Cross. " Barton returned to the United States in 1873 and worked towards that goal, but President Rutherford Hayes ignored the invitation. His successor, President James A. Garfield, offered to support the initiative. Unfortunately, Garfield was assassinated before any action could be taken. Chester A. Arthur, the next President, urged Barton to form a Red Cross Organization in preparation for American accession to the Geneva Treaty" ("Clara"). She wanted to start the organization, but unfortunately President Rutherford Hayes declined. Although his successor wanted to support and start the organization, he died shortly after from assassination. After multiple attempts to start the American Red Cross, President Chester A. Arthur had Barton create the American Red Cross. Clara Barton's determination got her to do wonderful things such as gain a very respected job in the Patent Office, work until her last dying breath, and even start her own organization.

Clara Barton' s determined mindset and hard work got her to achieve many amazing things.

Clara Barton tending to patients. (https://nyamcenterforhistory.org/2014/03/ ())

Clara Barton served time on the battlefield, worked in the Patent Office in D.C., and started her own organization. She is a powerful and amazing woman who spent many years on the battlefield, tending to men with wounds and injuries. She also had a job in the Patent Office in D.C. for a few years. "In 1853 she obtained an appointment as copyist in the Patent Office in Washington, D.C., becoming the first woman in America to hold such a government post. She continued this work till April 1861, when the Civil War began and she determined to serve the Federal troops" ("Clara Barton"). This made Barton well known for her hard work and determination. Barton also started The American Red Cross. " Barton returned to the United States in 1873 and worked towards that goal, but President Rutherford Hayes ignored the invitation. His successor, President James A. Garfield, offered to support the initiative. Unfortunately, Garfield was assassinated before any action could be taken. Chester A. Arthur, the next President, urged Barton to form a Red Cross Organization in preparation for American accession to the Geneva Treaty" ("Clara"). Barton is an inspiration through creating The American Red Cross, because she dealt with many obstacles that stood in her path. Determined, she overcame those obstacles and started the organization through President Chester A. Arthur. Clara Barton inspires me to be more independent and determined. She also inspires me to persevere through tough situations, and that hard work pays off. A hero, hard worker, powerful lady, strong woman, my hero: Clara Barton.

Clara Barton." Encyclopedia of World Biography, Gale, 1998. Biography in Context,

link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1631000476/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=e0dc7cc7. Accessed 27 Apr. 2017.

"Clara (Clarissa Harlowe) Barton." Science and Its Times, edited by Neil Schlager and Josh

Lauer, vol. 5, Gale, 2000. Biography in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K2643411682/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=be478804. Accessed 28 Apr. 2017.

"Clarissa Harlowe Barton." World of Health, Gale, 2006. Biography in Context,

link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K2191100018/BIC1?u=powa9245&xid=77fb7b21. Accessed 1 May 2017.

"Founder Clara Barton". American Red Cross, The American Red Cross, 5 July

2012,http://www.redcross.org/about-us/history/clara-barton

Krensky, Stephen. Clara Barton. London: DK, 2011.

The American Red Cross - My hero created The American Red Cross.
Founder of the American Red Cross - Clara Barton information about founding the Red Cross.