Captain Sunshine

by Katie from Wheeling, West Virginia

My hero is a horse named Cappy. His full name is Captain Sunshine. He tries really hard every day. He is a brave horse most of the time. Cappy strives to be a kind horse all the time. This horse is very special to me.

In my lessons he tries to do his best. He may not always listen, but he tries. If he is tired, he keeps going. His age is twenty-five years of age, and my instructor says he has been a good boy. Cappy is willing to do almost anything.

I think he is a brave horse because he will protect the barn cat from the wind. During the lessons, sometimes it will thunder and lightning, but he stays calm even though he feels nervous. If somebody approaches him in the wrong way he will stand there and take it. Sometimes something will happen and he won't be brave. He is brave in many ways though.

Cappy is very kind because he always seems to listen. He also stands still and listens to my commands. He doesn't try to kick at me, which is very important. When I am leading him he doesn't try to bite me. Cappy is wonderful at being thoughtful.

Cappy is an amazing horse. I love it when I get to ride him. I really think he can understand me and my feelings. Cappy is the best horse in the world. I wouldn't trade him for anything.