Don Garlits

by Dezzi from New Franklin

My Hero is "Big Daddy" Don Garlits. Garlits is a legend in the race world; he has won 17 World Champion Titles, 8 U.S National Championships, and a total of 144 National Event Wins. The three main reasons this man is my hero are he never up or lets anything or anyone keep him from completing his goals. He does what he does because he loves it, and he never gives up. Those are the main reasons he has been my hero for so long.

The first reason Garlits is my hero is because he never lets anything or anyone keep him from completing his goals. He was born in a poor home in Tampa, Florida, but he still learned everything he needed to know about drag cars to be able to make his own under an oak tree in his back yard. "I was a Great Depression child. We never had anything - one pair of shoes for a whole year, homemade clothes, used toys that my father gathered up and we repaired together. However, I loved it, and I never thought I was deprived." Even though he and his family were poor he became very wealthy and famous. Don was also involved in a car accident in a top fuel front engine-dragster which caused him to lose half his foot. Instead of quitting, he designed a dragster with a rear engine so this doesn't have to happen to other people.

The second reason he is my hero is because he does what he does because he loves it. Don Glenn Garlits is always topping his own records. Just when people think he was the best, he would blow them away with another win or recorder. He was always winning and making new records because he loved his job. He didn't race for the money. "Do what you love, forget the money, you only pass through here once, enjoy it!"

The third reason Don is my hero is because he never gives up. Don did so much overwhelming stuff that most people wouldn't even think to try and go through with, like designing the rear engine dragster so drag races could be safer. Even though most people would have given up, Don Garlits did not. Even after the man got half of his foot cut off in an accident he didn't give up.

These are the reasons Donald Glenn Garlits is my hero. He is an amazing person for anyone to look up to, not just race fans. I have been looking up to him for a very long time. But when I saw him race in person it made me start thinking of all the things he has done. The three main reasons I look up to Don Garlits are because he never lets anything or anyone keep him from completing his goals, he does what he does because he loves it, and he never gives up. He will always be one of my heroes.