Princess Diana

by Nina from Hildesheim

<a href=http://encarta.msn.com/media_701611505_761579971_-1_1/Diana_Princess_of_Wales.html>Princess Diana</a>
Princess Diana

Princess Diana (1961-1997), Princess of Wales from 1981 to 1997. Diana was born Diana Frances Spencer in Sandringham, Norfolk, England. Her father, Edward Spencer, was heir to an earldom, and her mother was Franzes Ruth Burke Roche. Her brother was called Charles and her two sisters were called Jane and Sarah. Diana had a terrible childhood. Her father slapped her mother and when Diana was six years old her parents divorced. From 1979 until 1981 Diana worked as a kindergarten teacher in London.

On February 24, 1981, her engagement to Prince Charles, son of Queen Elizabeth II and the heir to the British throne, was announced. They were married in Saint Paul’s Cathedral in an internationally televised ceremony on July 29, 1981, with an audience numbering in the hundreds of millions. Diana was the first Englishwoman to marry an heir to the British throne in more than 300 years. The couple had two sons: Prince William (born June 21, 1982) and Prince Henry (born September 15, 1984).

Charles began an affair with Camilla Parker-Bowles. Diana was very unlucky, she made five suicide attempts, suffered from bulimia and got depressions. She felt abused, declined, deceived and alone.

"By the late 1980s, strains in the royal couple’s marriage had been widely publicized, and in December 1992 a separation was announced. By that time Diana had adopted charity work as her royal duty."

Diana decided to break out of "the golden cage," into that her life was turned.

"In August 1996 Diana and Charles were divorced. After the divorce it was agreed that Diana would be known as Lady Diana, Princess of Wales, and would no longer be permitted to use the title Her Royal Highness. The couple had joint custody of their children.

Diana actively supported many charities related to homeless and deprived children, drug abuse, breast cancer, and victims of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS). In 1987 Diana sat with a man dying from AIDS and shook his hand, a gesture credited with promoting acceptance and compassion for people with the disease. She was the vice president of the British Red Cross and served as a member of the International Red Cross advisory board. In 1997 Diana visited Angola and Bosnia and Herzegovina in support of a Red Cross campaign to ban landmines. On August 31, 1997, Diana was killed in an automobile accident in Paris, France. Her funeral on 6 September 1997 was broadcast and watched by over one billion people worldwide."

My opinion of Diana: She took self-sacrificing care of persons or things, who at her heart and she wished nothing more then world peace and to bring herself and her friends health. Diana was understanding, charitable and authentic. She trusted her intuition, yearned for the big love, searched for an establish identity, strived for recognition and wisdom.

Diana is my hero, because she did not forget where she come from. She helped and cared about poor or ill people, although she was a princess. She believed in herself. Diana had the courage to say the truth about the royal family and to turn her back on them.

She had conquered the hearts of the people and when she began to live her own life, it was taken her away.

Princess Diana was only 36 years old.

Princess Diana - from encarta

Nina Grassnick Writes: